Bipolar Disorder Community
What is Abilify prescribed for exactly?

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

What is Abilify prescribed for exactly?

I am on 10mgs of Abilify once daily. It is the only meds that I am on after stopping Risperdal due to continuing weight gain. My psych says I am very sensitive to it.

So anyways, I was just sitting here wondering exactly what would be the objective of Abilify alone? Would it be for depression, or pyschosis? Is it a mood stabilizer? I am a little confused. Can anyone enlighten me?
Tags: Abilify
Abilify is an antipsychotic that can be used as a mood stabilizer. It is the least likely of the (currently available) antipsychotics to cause weight gain. Ask your psychiatrist what it is being prescribed for as there are other options for mood stabilizers but if you need an antipsychotic and have the issue of weight gain that generally would be the one they prescribe.