Bipolar Disorder Community
Whats going on with my 7 year old son?

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Whats going on with my 7 year old son?

Hi! I will start out by saying I’m a single mom of three. I have a seven-year-old son, and two daughters 6 and 4.  I’m having a lot of trouble out of my Seven-year-old son. I don’t know what’s really going on with him. I will say he sees a therapist, behavior specialist, and I work very close with his school. The last few weeks he has  went down hill. (Fast)!

He started out doing fairly good at school, but last Monday he got suspended for head butting his principal. At school he seems to be a little monster. His behaviors which included biting, kicking, screaming, crying, running out of the school, and seeming sad are just a few of his behaviors. He has been restrained several times this year because when he loses control of himself he seems to become a “super strong hero” he becomes so strong, his eyes get very glassily, and these fits are taking anywhere from 30mintues to hours to get him out of the meltdown.  He also makes comments about his head hurting (which I have had checked out and everything came back normal) he says power Rangers are talking to him and telling him to hurt the “Bad guys”. Also he says at school he hears people telling him to be bad. His current school has told me the only way he can attend this school is if I place him into a CDC classroom (Behavior mod).  

He will sit and day dream about a power ranger mofin (something power rangers communicate through with other power rangers) he gets really upset when I tell him they are not real. He truly believes they are real.  By the way he hasn’t watched power rangers in years!  He is really attached to me (Mommy) right now more than ever. Even if I leave him with his mamaw and papaw he still cries for me.

My son has been in a mental hospital several times. 1st time was when he was five; he tried to choke his sister (She was turning blue). 2nd time was when he was threatening to kill his teacher and he thought he could throw fire out of his head. And the last time he was acting high. He didn’t sleep he couldn’t stop talking they called it grandiosity (manic high).  

He came out all three times with the label of Bipolar, OCD, and NOS/ ADD. He was also diagnosed with sensory integration disorder around two years of age. We have tried medication none have worked!  He is currently on Depokote sprinkles for seizures and seroquel for sleep.

Is this how most children who suffer from BP act?  His life seems so sad to me I wish I could fix him but it seem that every time he seems to be doing so well he starts going down hill. I’m not sure what to do for him. He just seems sad he says he tells me his heart is broken and that he needs help to but it back together. But every conversation I have with him goes straight back to the whole power ranger thing. Also this last month he has been on chicken nuggets that’s all he will eat. He won’t eat anything else, its to the point where I’m afraid that its going to make him sick.  

If anyone has the same problems with there kids I beg you to let me know. Also if this doesn’t sound a bit like your BP child please let me know. If you know of anything that might help me and my son Please share your story and or any advise you have..

Thanks,
Rozanna
My email is Rozanna @ Comcast.net
Also this might help. I knew by the age of 1 something wasn’t right with him. He is still social behind (he is on a 5 year old level) he is smart but you half to break every thing down for him.  Speech is still hard to understand, he won’t talk if he doesn’t want to, and he doesn’t under stand danger. you could say he is in a 7 year old body but he really is on a 5 year old level..  

Oh, Rozanna, that broke my heart!  As a mom of a 7 year old little boy, I can't imagine what you are going through.  Am praying for you and your little angel.

Have they ever dx him as schizophrenic?  Went to school with a boy who was and this sounds just like him.  He would get SO mad and had so much strength that it would take most of the men in the school to hold him down when he got mad, and he was in like the third grade.  He talks to things a lot that aren't there.  His behavior was so bad and he was dangerous to all of us other kids, so he had to be taken out of school, BUT he did not have access to meds back then.  This was 30 years ago and things have improved greatly.  David also use to complain about horrible head aches.  I would think your son's head would hurt just from all he is going through.

I was a BP child and I never did any of those things.  I did hear voices, but they never told me to hurt any one else, just myself.  When my dr told me at 25 that they were hallucinations I got rid of them.  Well, they're still there, I just know to ignore them now.  But they were just "voices" they didn't belong to anything, they just were.

The poor little thing must be terrified.  Sounds like he needs more help than what the school can give him.  Do you have a school for special needs children that would be an option for you?  I know that sounds bad, but I'm just thinking if there is someone who is more capable of taking care of him and taking care of him the way he needs to be taken care of it would be better for both of you.

Wish I had better answers, but I really don't know.  Will be praying for you both in hopes that you find some answers quickly.

Dac
Hi Rozanna;

I honestly would say, from my perspective, you are probably stretched too thin.. and u seriously dont have enough time or energy to help this young boy of yours.. If you really want to help, I would suggest that you get him a big brother or someone else that will help spend time with the young man. He has retreated to his imagination as hes not happy with his reality.. ie: people not spending enough time with him or talking with him or playign with him...

I was a kid like this.. my mother didnt know how to deal with me either. She loaded me up on ridilin. It turns out I still have problems behaviourly even at age 30. I am strongly believing that I am allergic to Milk, Casien, not lactose... And its in everything almost so its very hard to avoid.. but I noticed that sometimes i was "smarter" then otehr times at about age 18 or 19.... I believe consuming milk products has contriibuted to me having this rage as you can feel something is wrong inside but u dotn know what it is.. or why..  AVOID MILK PRODUCTS...

It also sounds like your boy could be suffering nutritionally  as well, you need to get him eating some proper nourishing food... Id urge you to do everything u can to strip DAIRY, SUGAR and GLUTEN from his diet... its hard but it is possible... for me diet is the DECIDING FACTOR on whether im coherently able to function or not... its a hard code to crack but YOU MUST.

good luck!

I’ll say that I have quit my career and moved back in with my parents to have extra help and to be available for my son the last four years. So I think I spend a lot of time with him. When you have a child like mine you learn to make time, and make every day living fun ( who can race to put there shoes on, who can win to get dressed the fastest) ect.The whole food and diet thing I wish I could get him to eat something different, but I have had no luck. He doesn’t eat much candy, but he has always had eating problems. Even when he was in the mental hospital the staff there called me to bring him food because he wouldn’t eat and didn’t eat all day.

Micah had a doctor’s appt with his pdoc and he seems to believe that his food problems come from his OCD.  He isn’t worried from the power ranger voices he said that is kinda child play but is worried about the other voices tell him to be bad.  So right now I’m keeping a close eye on him to make sure he is safe as well as others around him.

He thinks he needs his medications back, but I don’t know about all that.  I know that if my son is truly BP then he does need medications to help the chemical balance. But I’m going to hold off and see what the neurologist has to say when she reads his EEG test
I feel for you from the bottom of my heart. I have an almost 5 year old daughter and we deal with the same thing (minus the power rangers) on a regular basis. She was only at school for 30 minutes this morning before she threw a chair at a little girl and hit her in the head with it....all over 1 skittle candy. I fear that my little girl may soon have to be hospitalized because her behavior has become so much more aggresive (aggressive) than before. She has always had super human strength when she is raging, but now she can take down a full grown adult. She grabbed her teacher by the hair one day and pulled her to the ground and kicked her in the stomach, all because she didn't want to take a nap. Recently she has started talking about a woman in her brain that tells her to hurt her teacher. I am working on getting her on meds now and have to jump through hoops with the state to get it done because no insurance policy will cover her. I wish you luck with your son and hope we can talk some more.
Sincerely,
Tiffany
I'm sorry to hear that another child and there parents are going through some of  the same things that my son and I are also going through. I would love to talk to you. If you have any questions just let me know and i will try and answer them as best I can.
My son is 7,  He was diagosied as Depressed with Psychotic Process 4 months ago.  He got to the point where he was telling me (his mom) that he was going to kill me when he grew up.  He heard and saw demons.  He took Zoloft for 3 months.  He prgressively got worse to the point I hospitalized him.  Durring that hospitalization they found he was Bipolar not Depressed.  The Zoloft had made him sink into a deep depression he couldnt get out of.  He was threatening to kill his siblings and cousins.  His medicine was changed to Abilify.  Even with a very small dose I saw great inprovements.  It is amazing how different he is from a month ago.  He doesnt threaten to kill me or anyone else anymore.  He is still caught up on Power Rangers, Iron Man, and Spider Man.  He dosent always differentiate between reality and make belive but he knows there is a difference.  He still thinks he's invincible.  He tries to fly, jump off of high places, climb too high, hang from banisters.  He still does alot of this stuff but not as bad as before.  The full effect of the med should be seen at 6 weeks.  He is only on the minimum dose every evening.  There is hope.  I read in a bipolar parenting manual that when he thinks he's a super hero to let him be and work it out but not to try to pull him out of his fantasy.  
C
My Daughter is Bi-polar, I knew she was 'special' at age 2. She threw the most horrible of fits to the point 1 DR said to empty a closet & put her in it till' she stopped it. I knew then that I had to quit asking for help 'till she got older. I put up with the 'nugget phase also. She STILL eats weird, but I try to get her on REAL food when I can. It just depends on when & how you choose to fight what battle I've found. She has a different Father than her Brothers & her Dad has 'issues' of his own, so I understand where she gets it. From he & I. I suggest, & it is only a suggestion from my point of view that you get her special help from anywhere that you can to keep yourself & your other children in a safe place. Even if you can only get help thru an  agency? On the Power Ranger thing, my boys did that with Ninja Turtles & it is just a phase that will possibly last for yrs. I hope you are blessed & you will be in my prayers! Tres