Bipolar Disorder Community
Whats up with seroquel?!

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Whats up with seroquel?!

I finally got given some medication for my illness im on seroquel ive been on it for 3 days and the side effects are killing me already, but my moods keep changing, one minute im frustrated and irritated then im all laughs with everyone and in a good mood. Is this meant to happen or am i going through rapid cycling? I thought i was only ment to have side effects but it looks like it affecting my moods too...
  The Seroquel probably has not built up to an effective dose or blood level and isn't working yet as it should but you could discuss this with your psychiatrist. As the dose is adjusted and titrated by your psychiatrist to a working level which might take some time you should see some improvements and then things should stabilize. Keep track of how it works over time and update your psychiatrist so they can have a better idea of what might be a working dose for you.
Are you on any type of mood stabilizer? Seroquel is an anti-psychotic and really is not used as a primary mood stabilizer. I have found that Seroquel helped control my mania; however, my mood stabilizer is what helped to keep me on a more even keel. The side effects from the Seroquel should wear off once your body adjusts to the medication.
No im just on seroquel at the moment, and i dont know what its meant to be acting on, whether if its the oncoming depression whenever it comes or the mania that i am in now, but i have to double the dosage next monday
Hi Elinah, I am on Seroquel and have been for nearly 2 years now, I also take Depakote which is a mood stabiliser.
My doctor prescribed me the Seroquel as I am a very "agitated" person, whether I am high or low or in between there is always a lot of irritability.
I would say that the Seroquel works quite quickly to resolve manic symptoms and psychosis but it only has Anti depressant "qualities"
My doctor will not prescribe Anti Depressants to anyone with BP so this kind of anti psychotic is the best I can get.
It is heavily sedating in the first few months but for me being a hyperactive person it was exactly what I needed! Perhaps this is the reason it has been prescribed to you?
I have never been on a anti psychotic for this amount of time as all the others I tried were horrible, some made me extremely paranoid, increased agitation whereas others made my weight balloon and I was a zombie!
These medications that we are prescribed for BP are all very strong, powerful chemicals, everybody has different sensitivities with drugs and it can take ages to find the right ones. I am sure many would agree that they have to compromise with their meds, I have never heard anyone say that their meds are perfect and they don't get side effects.
It is far too soon for the Seroquel to have made an impact on your moods, you may find some of your symptoms getting a little better or at least not getting any worse.
It does sound that you need a medication to stabilise your moods too.
I am taking Seroquel XR which is a modified release tablet, these reduce side effects especially weight gain and drowsiness so you could ask about that, I am told it is more expensive though.
Good Luck!
I tried that medication and I had alot of bad side effects. I am on Risperdal now instead. It took me a long time to get out of a manic state, and when I was in it I had some ups and downs too. The thing to remember is that mania is not always a pleasant experiance. I would have loved to stay on cloud 9 while I was experiancing the euphoric mania, but unfourtunately there was no choice.
Irritability is one of the main symptoms of bipolar disorder. It doesn't matter what state you are in, you could have it through the ups the downs and everything inbetween. I agree with everyone else a mood stabalizer would be best to help you be less irritable. I am on Lamictal (Lamotrogine). I really don't think it is the medication that is causing the mood changes. It is probably just the bipolar.
serquil is a great med for people who can take these meds..as respdol,,geodon,,triflon,,zyprexa,,these will not help alot of people..i was on serquil 100mgs at night it knocked me to death sleep..then they changed it to 200xr wow i gained 110 pounds..ate everything..gave my wife a pice of cake,,i ate the remander lol..

this being your 1st med was mine also..on it 2 yrs..

you need to try lithem or lamctal...
Ya this is true! I am taking Depakote and Seroquel and those have helped my manic episodes. It helps me level out because I am so up a lot with a lot of energy. So these medicines are a great choice for me. look into it and see if this will help you too.
I heard about the weight gain on seoquel at any dose.  I take prazosin for PTSD and it works wonderes.  Now my Dr wants to add 25mg of seoquel.  Kinda scared since I have had gained weight on other stuff but not now with the prazosin.  Does anyone have any answers???
I was on Seroquel and had to be taken off because it was knocking me out so badly I couldn't move. I was even down to taking 1/4 of a pill and still could have slept 18 hours easily. If your having side effects I'd recommend talking to your doctor
Give the Serequel some time, it sounds like you are just rapid cycling and it has nothing to do with the drug. I'm a rapid cycler too.. and that's what ended up keeping me in the hospital, not my initial depression when I was first diagnosed, I felt fine the next day and wanted to go home.  

The drug levels get slowly raised into your body, you don't get thrown onto the amount you may need which is completely individualized - my dosage maybe high to some and low to others.  I take 150 am and bedtime.  I used to swing moods several times a day - under a lot of stress I can two maybe three times a day, but I usually take a clonazepam if it's really rough and I have to deal with people - but people  normally can change their moods anyways,it's just the extremes and what we do with them.

If you are really feeling flat on them, usually it's because you've been hypomanic for a longer period of time like I've been and being calm is a foreign feeling.   This is one of the best drugs out there with the least amount of side effects, Tylenol has some wicked ones and we chuck those back pretty heavily.. the side effects will wear off, especially if they up your meds slowly, except if you really are acutely hypomanic.

Hang in there!
Hey ;)  I saw your post about Seroquel and wanted to comment about two things.  First, the sleepiness you get and second, the weight issue.  I've been taking Seroquel for about a year for insomnia and yes, you do sleep the sleep of the dead. The first night I took it my boyfriend said he actually got a mirror and put it under my nose to see if I was still breathing.(haha).  And also, when I first started taking I gained 15 lbs.  After I realized I was getting fat I told my psychiatrist to take me off the Seroquel IMMEDIATELY.  After talking to my Doc he said that it's not the actual pill that makes you gain weight but there IS an increase of appetite so the weight gain is completely manageable.  You just need will power and a refrigerator full of fruits and veggies to snack on and NOT junk food ;)  Good luck jimgreg!  Seroquel is actually a very good med if you can get past the side effects.  
I have been taking seroquel for 1-2 years.. at 1st i considered this my MAGIC PILL, however the sedation is a killer. I have suffered extreme tiredness, lethargy and sedation on many different meds in the past 8 yrs to treat my BP, including zoloft, lithium, epilim.. and i didn't notice it with the seroquel at 1st, but now i may as well be a zombie. I have just today changed my script to seroquel XR (the slow release). Can anyone tell me, is the dopiness any or much less on this? And hey, with the weight gain, i haven't found a single drug yet that doesn't gain lots of weight. (The only time i lost 35kg in the past several years is when i took myself off all meds for a year - and NO, i don't recommend that, lol). Thanks all
Hey i hope your there. I've been dealing with depression and anxiety for over 20+ years I've had all sorts of diagnosis from post dramatic stress syndrome to bio polar to anxiety disorder. Depression . I've took about everything the best i ever felt was when i was on xanax and lamictal and neutron . The doctor has taken me off xanax. That's when the anxiety attacks came back. I take 150 mg of lamictal 300 mg of welbutrion 15mg 4 times a away of buspar . Im a wreck my anxiety is going to kill me i have high blood pressure pace maker and congesgive heart failure . What would you suggest i tell my doctor that i need to be on to stop this ****
Hey i hope your there. I've been dealing with depression and anxiety for over 20+ years I've had all sorts of diagnosis from post dramatic stress syndrome to bio polar to anxiety disorder. Depression . I've took about everything the best i ever felt was when i was on xanax and lamictal and neutron . The doctor has taken me off xanax. That's when the anxiety attacks came back. I take 150 mg of lamictal 300 mg of welbutrion 15mg 4 times a away of buspar . Im a wreck my anxiety is going to kill me i have high blood pressure pace maker and congesgive heart failure . What would you suggest i tell my doctor that i need to be on to stop this **** my email address is ***@****