Bipolar Disorder Community
Why do I feel this way?

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Why do I feel this way?

I am in such a fog.  I have no motivation and feel like I am watching myself from the outside.  I used to have so much energy and was able to complete more tasks in a day than others.  That is what has made me successful in my career.  My ability to multitask like no one else.  I would juggle mutliple priorities, keep a clean house, cook dinner timely, stay up late and do my own college work and be mom of the year.  Now I cannot get out of bed, I never know how I am going to feel and what I will be able to accomplish.  I cannot get my brain to move faster and as I sit in meetings at work, nothing registers.  I have to urge to do anything.  I just live in this fog.  I was just diagnosed with Bipolar and am only on week 4 - so only at 50mg a day.  I don't have my first psych appt until next tuesday.  Does anyone else feel this way on Lamactil?  I cannot take it anymore.  I am so without feeling.  I think I am going crazy!!!!  Someone please help me...
I assume you are a type 1.  Perhaps I am right but you can also do some of that stuff while you are hypo manic.  I am on Lamictal.  I am on the highest dose and at first, yeah it did stop my racing thoughts and multi-tasking but it didn't last long and I promise you it goes away.  I am on 5 different forums here daily and I switch back and forth between them posting constantly.  I am also working on two poems, making Christmas presents, working on a short story and journaling.  Tell some of your manic or hypomanic symptoms, not that I can diagnose you but it will give me a better understanding of what type you might be, perhaps.  Also what other medications are you on?  I can give you advise to talk to your doctor about.  I can try to help get back to me.

Larry

Larry
I have no idea what type I am.  Since I was just recently diagnosed, my first Psych appt is next week, so I need to wait until then I am assuming.  I have been keeping track of my moods through the tracker and I seem to rapid cyle.  I go from really high to really low very quickly.  I am moody and have had serious anger issues since being on this medication.  

Depression
Before, I was so depressed, I would dream of committing suicide.  I have huge anti-social anxiety issues.  I will not shower for days and hide in my house and see no one if possible.  I cry and cannot wake up.  I could not get the voices to stop and I would have panic attacks so bad, I have lost my vision on occasions and have had complete breakdowns in public.  

Manic
When I am manic, there is nothing I can't do.  I don't sleep and I get so much accomplished and love sex.  So much so, I had an affair which is completely against my personality.  I over exercise and talk so fast others have mentioned that I need to relax and slow down.  I also become irritable and touchy.
If the doctor doesn't diagnose you as any type, and some of them don't for some reason, get a second opinion.  Some of them don't think it is important for you to know what type you are although the DSM VI talks about the difference between the severity and the symptoms of the different types.  I have recently got out of a 90 day psych program and it has been like a month and just until recently I have been rapid cycling.  In my opinion you sound like a type one.  The voices and hallucinations went away for me after I finally got some sleep, but psychotic episodes hit all of us in different ways.  You are not crazy yet lol, but it does sound like you are having more bad days (depression) than good days.  It gets better and I am going to check out your tracker.  I haven't updated mine like I did last year but if you check it out, I can say that I still cycle like that alot, it has just got less severe,

Write back,

Larry
I will definetly ask to know my type!  What exactly is the difference?  I am definetly having more bad days!  Just when I feel a little better it is time for more meds and I get foggy!  I try to take them at night but I don't know if that is better
I assumed that you were a type 1 and that could be correct but I don't really know.  It is difficult for even doctors to diagnose a bipolar as type 1 or 2.  The biggest difference is that tyoe 2s are mostly depressed with bouts of hypomania.  Full blown mania is different than hypomani.  It has alot of the same characteristics but manic spells usaually mean you have to be hospitalised or should be at least.

My manic spells are pretty severe and at first I thought they were fun but when it subsides into depression it sucked.  I think that keeping track of your mood and symptoms will be benificial for the doctor.  I looked at yours earlier and I didn't see any sign of mania but some of us don't cycle as fast as I do, and that is actually a blessing.

That is why it is so hard to distinguish between type 1 and 2.  The main reason to find out is there are medicines that work for 1s that don't work for 2's. Lithium is prescribed for both, but in my experience depakote is (usually) for type 2s and Lamictal is (usually) for type 2s.

Good luck on your journey and be patient.  Also pray that yours is easy to treat, mine is not.  Let me know how it goes and I will talk to you tomorrow, perhaps if your on.