Bipolar Disorder Community
Xanax for bipolar?

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Xanax for bipolar?

My husband is bipolar, the kind that rapid cycles with mixed episodes.  He has convinced the family doctor (not his psychiatrist) that he needs xanax for "panic attacks" which he does get every few months.  However, the doctor gave him 60 1mg pills for a month.  It seems to calm him down for a minute but then he seems to get crazier and takes way too much.  Is xanax really good for someone with bipolar?  Any suggestions for how I can deal with this situation?
Xanax is an anti-anxiety medication. It is useful for this purpose but it can be addictive due to its short half life. It is not a mood stabilizer. It would be best to speak to his psychiatrist about this situation with him as there is a potential he has built up a tolerance to Xanax and more importantly if he has bipolar as determined by his psychiatrist he would need a full mood stabilizer. If he has anxiety disorder there are other medications for anxiety that are longer lasting that might be safer for him but that judgment is up to his psychiatrist as well. If he is addicted to Xanax and his psychiatrist becomes aware of that they would have to supervise him discontinuing it as a person making any changes on their own is very dangerous. Have a close conversation with him and his psychiatrist about how to proceed.
Xanax is NOT used primarily for bipolar disorder. It can cause much worse problems in the long run if your husband is addicted to it. It has a short calming effect, (to calm a person down when going through a panic attack). Then it wears away, causing your hubby to get manic again. It is by no means a mood stabalizer like Lithium or Lamictal.  He seems to be self medicating with it. I love the stuff- that's why I don't touch it anymore. ;) Good luck!