Bipolar Disorder Community
Zyprexa zydis prn, for "agitation" -- alternatives?

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

I'm prescribed Zyprexa in the "Zydis" rapid-dissolve form, 5mg, as needed "for agitation".  I'm bi-polar, and sometimes I get worked up to a state that is more frustrated & agitated than it is manic, per se,  The Zyprexa works well for this, except for its notorious weight-gain side effects.  I just can't handle the weight issues.

Does anyone know of a another drug, that perhaps comes in a rapid-release form, that would make sense as a replacement for the Zyprexa?  I'd prefer to take something that can be used on the as needed basis.

I will ask my doctor, of course, but wanted to see about other people's experiences.  Thanks!
   Yes all atypical antipsychotics have the potential of weight gain although Zyprexa has the most potential for this side effect. Risperdal and Abilify are also available in rapid dissolve format and Abilify has less of a potential of weight gain although each person responds differently to each medication. The mood stabilizer Lamictal is available in rapid dissolve format as well. However only a psychiatrist could determine what medication could be used in this capacity but you could ask your psychiatrist about available options.
I would suggest you go to our Bipolar Forum and ask your question to ILADVOCATE.
Peace
Greenlydia
seroquel doesn't come in the dissolve form but can be used as needed as is very good for some people with agitation and things like that. I use it for when everything gets to much and it makes me sleep it off.
I appreciate the input.  I see my doctor today, and it helps to have some ideas to mention.  Of course the decision on what might work best is in her corner.  (I once had a doctor that basically prescribed whatever I asked for -- seemed kind of neat at first but didn't work out so well...)

I'd taken Seroquel a long time ago, and as Freddie mentioned it worked well for just shutting things down and getting some sleep.  I don't recall it affecting my weight/appetite/etc as badly as this Zyprexa.  Something for me to consider.
My son has bipolar disorder with schizoaffect and doesn't respond well to any of the medicines,,has tried them all..is electroshock an option in this case? He is 27 yrs old and was diagnosed at 17 so this has been a long road of drs and hospitals!
My doctor instructed me to hang on to the Zyprexa for emergency situations, but took me off of Abilify and replaced it with Geodon, which "it's claim to fame" (as she put it) is that it's least likely to cause weight issues, among the atypicals.  20mg twice daily.  So far it is working well, and I get slightly drowsy but I'm not eating everything in sight.  So now the regimen is Lexapro 20mg, Geodon 20mg/x2, Clonazepam 1mg/x3, and Trazodone 150mg/bedtime.  I will take a Zydis if I feel the need but so far I haven't.
I was first diagnosed, (b.p.d and schizoaffect, as with your son) and began treatment 20 years ago.  The symptomology (and available medications) has changed over time, and there were times when I considered trying electroshock.  During my roughest periods I didn't care what the consequences, I wanted to try it, but never did.  Doctors advised that I wouldn't be a good candidate for it.  Anyway, I'm not the one to advise for or against it, but keep in mind things will change for your son, and with new breakthroughs in medications, they will likely improve.  Plus age and the passage of time also has an effect.

Best of wishes,

jbl