Bipolar Disorder Community
atypical? hallucinations

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

atypical? hallucinations

My husband has been diagnosed with cyclomythia, dysthymia, social anxiety disorder and adhd for several years now. He does not like going to see his psychiatrist and tends to hide information. (Right now he han'ts been to see his doc since october and can't get another appt until April...he's already run out of two of his meds and can't get more until he sees his doc :( ) He was talking to me recently and told me some things about the hallucinations that he experiences and has experienced since he was a small child. To me his hallucinations don't seem to fit what I understand "normal" hallucinations to be like.

Here's some info/examples:

He's had the hallucinations since he was a small child. The hallucinations seem to be an overactive imagination gone out of control. As a child he thought his toys were alive and would actually see them moving around. He could imagine things and see them as if they were real, instead of just "picturing in his head" like most people do. As a small child he heard what sounded like two people walking, so he pictured two people walking. One of the people started following him and has followed behind him his entire live, doing everything that he has done...over time this thing is getting closer and closer to catching up with him. The thought of it catching up with him scares him.

When he was in high school, he imagined that a teacher had red hair. When he got bored with this he tried to make this imagined red hair go away...but it stayed for some time after that before going away on its own. Typically when he imagines things he can turn them off and on.

He does have what I guess are typical hallucinations. Recently he talked about seeing fish swimming around on a blue computer background..."playing" with his shadow that was moving around independently - on an overcast day...and etc.

I don't know if anyone can answer my questions, but I would like to know if this *is* atypical and if it could be caused by some sort of brain damage. When he was a small child he had meningitis (I think?). I do know that he had an extremely high fever, his mother says it was 109 and he stopped breathing. A neighbor gave him mouth to mouth as his mother drove to the hospital...so that would have taken awhile. The doctors told his parents that he would "never be the same". His mental health issues started after this incident - although mental health issues run in his father's side of the family.

If his hallucinations *are* atypical, is it more likely that they are caused by some sort of brain damage? I am guessing that if some of his mental health issues are caused by brain damage...there probably isn't any treatment.

Any insight or opinions that you may be able to give would be appreciated.

Thank you :)
  Hallucinations can vary from person to person. There are different types of hallucinations when a person is psychotic and this could be discussed with his psychiatrist. Generally the treatment is the same but if there is a concern that he started developing hallucinations after having meningitis as a kid that is different from any standard psychotic disorder as the cause could potential be brain damage and the specifics of the treatment might vary. It would be worthwhile to discuss this with a neurologist would conduct appropriate testing within their discretion. You could also post this question in the neurology forum for an informed answer from the staff neurologist.