Bipolar Disorder Community
can seroquel be used as monotherapy

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

can seroquel be used as monotherapy

Right now I am manic with mixed states and rapid cycling. seroquel takes care of that.

I saw my pdoc as i was convinced that it's time to add a mood stabilizer like the usual therapy. Back in time, I didn't tolerate neither tegretol nor lamictal. what is left is lithium or valproate. of course there are less famous drugs like trileptal, topamax,.....

i took 2 pills of lithium and i had serious insomnia for 2 days, intolerable, dry mouth,...the usual. i thought of depakote again the side effects are inflicting upon the liver instead of the kidneys.

many times i read about seroquel monotherapy, not only from astra zeneca. Some here used it for that purpose. So i need to know if it's effective. Of course there are side effcects but not more than the above ones. my question does it really help in depression. i take 100 but i presume it isn't enough.

forget abt diabetes, withdrawals, ....it's mainly the akathesia which is my main concern right now. can a pill of akineton take care of that

pls feedback on the use of seroquel alone without AD's . only seroquel
It depends on the specific person but Seroquel does have strong mood stabilization effects. It was complex for myself as a person with schizoaffective disorder or people I knew with bipolar with psychotic features as there a mood stabilizer and an antipsychotic was neccessary. With straight bipolar Seroquel being an FDA approved mood stabilizer should work at a therapeutic dose. You can see if at a proper dose you can tolerate the akathesia. Akineton does work but it is one of many side effect pills. You can see if it works for you.
I've just come off of trying to switch to Seroquel monotherpy.  I maxed out on 800mg of Seroquel before I was able to totally get off of lithium and hadn't even started to lower my Lamictal dose.  I don't tolerate lithium well and side effects have gotten much worse over time.  Lamictal has been okay for me as long as we watch the dose - it's very reactive to hormones and that has been a huge problem.  Was soooo looking forward to only one mood stabilizer... have heard that it can work for some people.  I hope that you can make it work for you.