Bipolar Disorder Community
delusion vs hallucination

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

delusion vs hallucination

I'm still learning about BP but the more I learn the more I get confused, lol...

Can anyone please tell me the difference between a delusion and a hallucination?
The only way I can differentiate the two is that delusions are thoughts we have and hallucinations are things we see...
am I off? can anyone be more specific for me? ty in advance :)
A true hallucination is something you experience that is not really there with your sight, hearing, taste, touch or smell.  An illusion, which gets confused with hallucinations frequently or hallucination is often used as an umbrella term for, is not experiencing things correctly you see, hear, touch, taste or smell but there is some real thing there.

A delusion on the other hand is a fixed, false belief that no amount of arguing with will make go away that you usually don't know you are having at the time.
Also I might add hallucinations can get really complex and you might experience them with all five of your senses but I think that's rare in itself due to the nature of hallucinations, especially since visual ones are so less common than auditory ones that some people forget to even list them as a possibility and some doctors don't even think to ask if you have visual ones.
Thanks for explaining that for me... so now I'm certain that I don't have hallucinations, but I think I might be delusional... if I think/believe something, then I'll argue until it doesn't make sense any more, y'know what I mean? Is that being delusional?
I'm not sure there, that is a blurry line really.  I think that might make sense and is a delusion but your common sense is intact if you realize it makes no sense.  People with delusions will sometimes not even stop arguing even after it makes no sense.  Hallucinations can also blend in with reality and become dream like as a couple of mine have been called before and some come close to tricking me as real which makes me wonder if I have a lot of others which I didn't realize are fake.  It's a tricky business.
I guess I'm confused because whenever Hubby and I argue he says that I'm delusional.
Depends on the content of the argument, you could be delusional sometimes depending on the content or he could just be saying that to try to sound right in the argument.