Bipolar Disorder Community
drug that doesn't make you gain weght

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

drug that doesn't make you gain weght

is there a MH drug out there for bipolar disorder that doesn't make you gain weght?...just wondering and without a side affect?  LOLOLolol~kelly
I understand Lamictal is good for this.  No weight gain and no side effects, however can also have the opposite effect and may make depression worse.  I am not bipolar but have been doing research since my husband was diagnosed.  Definitely talk with your doctor.  Best of luck!
I know lamictal has very low side effects for me, but I need something in addition for mania.  I use Abilify which is supposed to be weight neutral, but I gained 35 lbs when I first took it.  Now I have a solution to prevent weight gain no matter what I am on.  I am on a grain- free diet and I rarely get hunger pangs.  If I do, it is because I am truly hungry and need to eat.  I have to try to eat enough calories in a day.  Give it a try.  
There are a few, but not many.  Remember that nothing that works will be side effect free for everyone.  Lamictal is weight neutral, and is great for bipolar II, and packs most of its weight against depression.  Geodon and Abilify are also supposed to be weight neutral, Geodon a little more so than Abilify.  Trileptal is weight neutral as well, but its use in bipolar is technically off-label.  
Helllo
I'm a newbie here

Just wanted to say I take Trilltal and Welbitrin and it didn't make me gain any weight I have been on them over 4 years now.

But that's just me. I am still trying to understand this all..

Sounds like the ago e post have given you a lot of ideas
I wish you all the luck in your search.

Peace
Lesa
thank you for getting back to me.. I was just wondering
thank yo for getting back to me.  kelly
thanks a bunch for taking the time out to answer.  kelly
thanks for the well wishes and I am kinda a green pea myself.  take care kelly

Ever tried topomax (topamax)? It's a mood stabilizer that actually aides in weight loss. I was taking it wil seroquil because I was terrified of gaining weight. I didn't know it was going to make me lose weight- and quickly.

Someone mentioned trileptal above and I have taken that before too. I just wanted to compare it to topomax (topamax)- they are both anti-convulsants/ anti seizure medication. I do not know if they are both used in treating bi-polar, topomax (topamax) is for sure. The trileptal was given to me for panic attacks- or my moods I don't remember. I know it worked well.

Anyway, if you like the weight your at try one of the above mentioned options. If you want to lose weight ( for me it was rapidly- but I was extremely manic at the time) try topomax (topamax).

Trileptal is off label for BP, but it's used pretty frequently.  It's apparently the new improved version of Tegretol, with fewer side effects.  Topomax (topamax) is also used off label, but it's gotten the nickname of dopomax because it causes cognitive issues in a fair number of people.  It does tend to make you lose weight, though.  I personally would go for Trileptal above Topomax (topamax), but I'm doing fine on Lamictal so it's a bit of a moot point.
topamax.and.prozac.do.not.cause.weight.gain.and.are.a.good.combo.talk
to,your.pdoc.
I am currently on Topamax and have been for over a year now.....when I was first put on it I lost 25 pounds. Then as my body adjusted to it the weight loss has stopped. I just has my dosage increased about a week ago and have lost an additional 5 pounds since then....

Topamax is a anti-convulsant and is used in Bipolar patients as an off-label med....it has some really harsh side effects but the only side effects I suffer from are tingling in my fingers & toes and all caffeinated drinks taste flat so no more sodas....which is not necessarily a bad thing!! lol

It is worth checking into...it works really well for me. But as you are well aware of everyone reacts differently to meds.....

Hope this was of some help to you!!!
Best of luck to you!!!

Lisa
=)