Bipolar Disorder Community
geodone - taking yourself off this me

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

geodone - taking yourself off this me

My daughter has been taking Geodone for approximately 2.5 months.  She says her dosage is 180mg daily at dinner time.
she has begun loosing her hair and has decided to take herself off the medication immediately.  Can anyone help me - I am very fearful of her doing this without a weaning process.  She is BiPolar and also takes Klonopin for anxiety
I've heard that the withdrawal symptoms for Geodon are pretty harsh.  Someone I know in another online support group goes down 20mgs a week at the doctor's orders.
i definitely agree with you susan, i was also on the 180mg of geodon at night, and tried to stop cold turkey. it was horrible. i felt like i was going crazy. please listen to my advice and do not suddenly stop the geodon.
rachael
Geodon was a horrible drug for withdrawals.....  She should NOT stop cold turkey, but under the guidance of a pdoc slowly taper down... I was only on it for about 2 weeks and it as one of the worst experiences I've ever gone through....
I was on (i'm back on) for 6 months for a depressive episode.  I weened off 20mg a week until it was gone and I did not feel any side effects at all.  I actually felt like I had more energy and such.  I'm back on now for a manic episode and it works for me.