how do you get a family member to realise they are bipolar
I know for sure my huband is bipolar ..I dont believe he always has been is that possible to not have it then develop it ??? he is very manic hyper one minute and depressed and hating life the next. I talked to him many times but yesterday for the first time he heard me I think i got through just a bit...I believe most men dont even like going to a doctor and a psychiatrist is threatining and a big step....wether my marrige is saved or not Id like him to get help for himself and for the sake of our boys...so please how can I word it to him? any help or suggestions will be appreciated. Id like him to voluntarily get help
No its not possible to develop Bipolar based on current research (please no theories ppl)

There are medical conditions which can have similar symptoms to bipolar so it does not mean he is BP - the first step is he has to see a doctor and get a referral to a psychiatrist - hes going to hate that bit so you will be pushing up hill there all the way but there is no way to force someone to do this.
  Speak to other people in your family and his about the fact that he has bipolar. And then have them approach them individually as if concerned not in a judgmental manner. That worked for me for a family figure and remember before I had the full manifestations of schizoaffective, before recovery so I wasn't taken seriously but now I am. But I learned in approaching to speak about it in a way that was not detrimental or hurtful but made it look as if it would help with their recovery and it will. They are seeing a talk therapist and have been tentatively diagnosed with cylothymia (mild bipolar) and are considering seeing a psychiatrist and taking medication. But the most important thing is I had to put aside episodes where they had been somewhat aggressive and wildly emotional to me and just approach them gently as if concerned and it worked. What you are describing with him has aspects of psychosis so it may not work as well as his level of self awareness is less but make sure it comes from everyone and in a supportive manner. Even though he has done things that are wrong, let that talk be more after when he's on medication and can speak about it and understand it rationally.
  That's not true of what you said about most men either. I sought psychiatric help right away and my family member was concerned about my use of "pills" (their thinking came from another era, its called medication) but as it turns out their heavy emotional reaction came from bipolar when I look back. It will be easier for you as a person who has always been rational but you need support from others.
ok it's not possible to develop bp out of the blue but it is possible that it has been triggered by something when the genetic propensity to it already exists. is there any family history of any aspects of the disease? reading about it is a great help if someone is not familiar with the disease. 'an unquiet mind' kay redfield jameson is an excellent one for your husband any yourself to read, you and he might find some familiar scenarios in this book.
I think I understand what your saying Irish ,,,,that one is birn bipolar but it may seem dormat or just be thought of as normal childish stuff and later becomes different is that right????

iladovacte...your right I shouldnt stereotype...what I said about men is true for the men in my family my dad his dad him,,,,,my oldest son....I like your advice about not mentioning the manic moments and keeping it like positive concern.....heres one odd thing and Ive even tested him on it every single time I sing a song with in 1/2 hour or less he is singing the same song Ive even thought up the oddest songs I could and he will sing it...we dont even have to be in the same room what do you think  of that??? and I believe your right about some psychosis because he will say things and I will later try to talk to him and he will have no memory of what Im talking about the kids will say yeah Dad you did say that etc,,,
oh and about family history his brother was birn blind but normal personality and very intelligent..however 2 of his 1st cousins were born with mental handicaps one is in a state facility and has very little brain activity has been on tube feeding and respirator assistance for life no communitcation or movement at all. the other is in a state group home is about 45 has the tested IQ of about a 6 year old,,likes to play toys etc...