Aa
A
A
Close
how to get out of a really bad depressive episode
hi i have bipolar disorder and i seem to have many more depressive episodes that mania ones. i have been in a depressed state for 6 weeks now. i tried to kill myself about 6 weeks ago too. what can i do, does anyone have any tips that might help, anything that you have tried. im finding it hard to eat and have so much anxiety, especally when i have to leave the house and see people. i think people are looking at me and talking about me. im finding it hard to get up in the morning and do house work. im on medication but nothing i do will seem to get me out of the depression.
Cancel
4 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Have you ever considered ECT (electroconvulsive therapy)? I have had it once a month for the past year although I am currently have six treatments in two weeks because I started having trouble. I will go back to once every 2 weeks for awhile, then 3 weeks and then finally back to once every 4 weeks. ECT works for 80% of the people who try it. Last year 100,000 people approx. had ECT. The side effects include some memory loss and head ache on the day of treatment. I am very lucky and have minimal memory loss and Tylenol takes care of my headache.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
no i have not thought of that. do you live in australia or america? i live in australia.does it hurt?
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Are you on medication?  Are you seeing a therapist?  This will help figure out exactly what you might need.  From what I understand, you can't just get ECT willy nilly on the spot.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Hi I have recently had 10 treatments of ECT, and it does not hurt at all, unfortunately it has not worked for me, I have had no change, but that doesnt mean it wont work for you.  They will only do ECT as a last resort, when you have not responded to any treatment.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
how to get out of a really bad depressive episode
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Bipolar Disorder Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703