how to get out of a really bad depressive episode
hi i have bipolar disorder and i seem to have many more depressive episodes that mania ones. i have been in a depressed state for 6 weeks now. i tried to kill myself about 6 weeks ago too. what can i do, does anyone have any tips that might help, anything that you have tried. im finding it hard to eat and have so much anxiety, especally when i have to leave the house and see people. i think people are looking at me and talking about me. im finding it hard to get up in the morning and do house work. im on medication but nothing i do will seem to get me out of the depression.
Have you ever considered ECT (electroconvulsive therapy)? I have had it once a month for the past year although I am currently have six treatments in two weeks because I started having trouble. I will go back to once every 2 weeks for awhile, then 3 weeks and then finally back to once every 4 weeks. ECT works for 80% of the people who try it. Last year 100,000 people approx. had ECT. The side effects include some memory loss and head ache on the day of treatment. I am very lucky and have minimal memory loss and Tylenol takes care of my headache.
no i have not thought of that. do you live in australia or america? i live in australia.does it hurt?
Are you on medication?  Are you seeing a therapist?  This will help figure out exactly what you might need.  From what I understand, you can't just get ECT willy nilly on the spot.
Hi I have recently had 10 treatments of ECT, and it does not hurt at all, unfortunately it has not worked for me, I have had no change, but that doesnt mean it wont work for you.  They will only do ECT as a last resort, when you have not responded to any treatment.