Bipolar Disorder Community
i want to get off depakote
About This Community:

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

i want to get off depakote

I've been on Depakote ER 1,000mg (500mg x 2) a day for a little over 2 months, and I really want to get off from the med. It's making me really tired, making me take several naps a day everyday. I'm currently unemployed due to things I did while I was manic *sigh*, but want to get back to the society and work. I just went to an intake appt at a new hospital ( I didn't like the previous one), but my official appointment with my Dr is not until next month.... Ughhhh

I'm thinking of taking 500mg a day and see how my body can handle it? Cold turkey sounds a bit scary to me, but because I haven't been on this med for too long, I might be able to?

If you have any experience with weaning off from Depakote please share :)