Bipolar Disorder Community
numbness

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

numbness

Does it seem to anyone other than me that the meds(not all) that we are put on for BP, i.e., mood stabilizers an anti-depressant do no more than just make you numb to life. The problems are still there, are we really dealling with the illness or its symptoms without treating the illness. Probably Questioning to much right now
  No you are not and it depends what medications you are on and have been on. Some older anti-depressents and mood stabilizers do cause cognitive blunting. That can be a problem. And some are not so effective. Perhaps you need to update your treatment. If you have tried all common mood stabilizers and they are ineffective and have severe side effects here's a list of ones that are available as medications but used off label that you would not have heard of, perhaps not your psychiatrist but a mood disorders specialist would:http://www.psycheducation.org/depression/meds/moodstabilizers.htm
I asked the same question myself as a person with advanced tardive dyskinesia who needs to take an antipsychotic for schizoaffective disorder. And in advocating there was an answer for me and then other people as the studies go through. Could they develop an antipsychotic that didn't cause tardive dyskinesia or diabetes and promoted a full recovery? As I've posted with the medication I am on glycine in Phase II FDA study, which is a glutamate antagonist, a whole new class of antipsychotic in study if the results are the same as what was acheived in me the answer is yes. Now as for mood stabilizers, they develop new medications each year and many are found to have mood stabilization properties and then they are researched as mood stabilizers but a mood disorders specialist could use them now as they approved medications. So rather than say you are questioning too much, say you want more effective mood stabilizers and anti-depressents that won't create cognitive blunting and other side effects you are experiencing. Then obtain a referral for a mood disorders specialist. And perhaps that question will be answered in real world terms. I have the bipoolar aspect of schizoaffective as well and I went through about 30 mood stabilizers to get the right fit (in addition to the experimental antipsychotic) but as psychiatric research advances they learn more and could be able to figure out which one would be right for you more easily. And if there is nothing out there that is that effective there is much in research that will come out soon. This list updates itself:
http://www.psychmeds123.info/
I felt much the same way - numb - while taking antidepressants.  Since being diagnosed, I take Lamictal 200mg (mood stabilizer) and have therapy.  Even though I still deal with my bp issues (hypomanic and depression), I can see them coming and I am no longer "numb".

It does depend on your meds and if you are feeling out of reality - you need to mention that to your pdoc.  That's a common feeling during depression and the "out of body" or loss of reality could be a manic precursor.  You really need to talk to your doc about how you are feeling.  A better option might be there for you.