Bipolar Disorder Community
paranoid personality disorder

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

paranoid personality disorder

I've known for years that my 41-year-old son has had a problem, and only recently did I come to realize what it is.  He is very paranoid.   He distrusts people and has difficulty working with people.  Presently, he has a night time job as a watchman where he has very little, if any, contact with other people.  My son is highly intelligent and a very kind and caring person.  He is also obsessive compulsive and hyperactive.  He is wired differently than most people in that he drinks coke to excess (several liters a day) and prescribed drugs that seem to affect and/or help other people seem to have very little effect on him, such as Prozac and Xanax.  I might add that he doesn't smoke and he doesn't drink but this is because he cannot handle alcohol and he knows this so he avoids it.  Although he has a masters degree he will not pursue higher level jobs.  However, he needs a higher paying job to pay bills and have a decent living standard.  Although he is married, his wife seems to accept his eccentricities; however, I worry about what will happen to him when his father and I are gone and if he is alone in later life.  How do you tell a paranoid person that he is paranoid so that he can get the appropriate treatment, and where would he find a psychiatrist who specializes in this disorder??        
I would seek any psychiatrist's help you can get right now to try and get a diagnosis. The paranoid behavior may be a symptom of something else and that may be why the meds aren't working. A good pdoc should be able to ***** him and give him a proper diagnosis even if they don't specialize in paranoid behavior. But you can call around and ask what different docs specialize in.
pooka....i have created a group...pls see the note i sent...not sure how this forum/website works.