paranoid personality disorder
I've known for years that my 41-year-old son has had a problem, and only recently did I come to realize what it is.  He is very paranoid.   He distrusts people and has difficulty working with people.  Presently, he has a night time job as a watchman where he has very little, if any, contact with other people.  My son is highly intelligent and a very kind and caring person.  He is also obsessive compulsive and hyperactive.  He is wired differently than most people in that he drinks coke to excess (several liters a day) and prescribed drugs that seem to affect and/or help other people seem to have very little effect on him, such as Prozac and Xanax.  I might add that he doesn't smoke and he doesn't drink but this is because he cannot handle alcohol and he knows this so he avoids it.  Although he has a masters degree he will not pursue higher level jobs.  However, he needs a higher paying job to pay bills and have a decent living standard.  Although he is married, his wife seems to accept his eccentricities; however, I worry about what will happen to him when his father and I are gone and if he is alone in later life.  How do you tell a paranoid person that he is paranoid so that he can get the appropriate treatment, and where would he find a psychiatrist who specializes in this disorder??        
I would seek any psychiatrist's help you can get right now to try and get a diagnosis. The paranoid behavior may be a symptom of something else and that may be why the meds aren't working. A good pdoc should be able to ***** him and give him a proper diagnosis even if they don't specialize in paranoid behavior. But you can call around and ask what different docs specialize in.
pooka....i have created a group...pls see the note i sent...not sure how this forum/website works.