racing thoughts
Hello Doctor,
For years now, I've been struggling with racing thoughts that travels inside my head at light speed. One thought would trigger another and another when I, honestly, feel exhausted. My grades dropped because reading became difficult. It is not the act of reading but to focus and understand a sentence might take the whole day since my mind would wonder. Most of thoughts are about heaven and hell. I've been trying to leave my old programing and embrace something else but I am scared and confused. Do you have any advice for me? I need medication really bad.  I am 31, female, 5'9, 165.

Thank you
Emma
Hi Emma
I'm not a doctor, just a fellow person with racing thoughts.  Not so much anymore since I have medication now which takes care of that pretty well, after some trial and error.  I can certainly understand the fear, confusion and exhaustion you're going through.  And at the end you mention needing medication.  It sounds like you understand what the problem is and you already know what the solution is.  Maybe the piece that's left out is therapy.  Have you ever tried that before?  That is always so helpful to me to have someone who is there just to listen and will help me figure out solutions and answers to my problems and set goals and then reminds me what they were when I get off track.  Just a thought....
needsreaders
Go to the website http://www.everythingispointless.com/ to wean yourself from the heaven and hell stuff. I also have the racing thoughts thing and take Lexapro. It works for me so ask your psych if it might work for you.
lamictal worked for me
DLA
This is an anxiety condition mixed with depression.  I know b/c I also have this problem.  And anti-depressant with anti-anxiety such as Paxil, Lexapro, Effexor, etc will help this tremendously.  The meds take a little time to take affect and then the dose takes some tweaking to make you feel your best without being zombified.  If you reach zombie state, too much. ;)  

My husband just recently taught me the trick to over coming this when trying to go to sleep.  Lay perfectly still with eyes closed and count backwards or say the alphabet backwards quietly in your head.  Quietly-my brain has a tendency to yell at me, so I have to work to make the inner voice quiet.  The monotanous of it will relax you and help you go to sleep.  It also keeps your mind occupied so that the thoughts have no place to race.  

I'm not a dr either, just a fellow wanderer!

Dac
To all my fellow racing thought victims.  I have found a helpful tactic for sleep.  My racing thoughts still seep through, but this helps.  A noise maker.  You can get one at Walgreens or Walmart.  It plays different soothing sounds and I like the waterfall or the raindrops.  It breaks up "brain noise" and really helps.  I too also use the counting numbers or the alphabet backwards.  Hope this helps! Kristen
Hi my name is Chelsey. I am 19. Every since I was little I can remember always having these racing thoughts, but not only thoughts its like im moving fast as well or when people talk to me they are talking a hundred miles a minute. I don't know what can help me. I also now have these feelings where i feel like I am moving when im really just in one spot. I could be doing anything and i feel like that and i feel dizzy at the same time.
i review snatches of conversation with people hand gestures things said on television which i believe is from bipolar disorder i also make lists of things i want to do to better my life and review alot of things in my head which i think might be a little ocd anyone have any thoughts let me know
Are you familiar with the term "rapid cycling"?  If not it is when your brain goes on full speed ahead without your permission. A year ago I couldn't focus on so many things around me because my brain would be spinning with thoughts, I would say I was going a hundred miles an hour at least. Really mad me mad cause I couldn't catch much of what all my racing thoughts were saying and doing. Then my pd started me on Lithium, within three weeks the cycling stopped, I was now only recieving maybe two or three thoughts at a time and the rest of my thoughts were blackened out.  It sounds like this could be your problem.  I take a combonation of Lithium, Lamictal, Seroquel and Trazadone.
Racing thoughts are common to many BPs - I get them, I naturally run hypomanic when unmedicated and got them all the time - Lithium worked for me in that area as well and its very effective.

When I cant sleep because of them or the noise in my head I take Valium which works for me as well.