reduced sex drive due to Tegretol (bipolar treatment)

My boyfriend (now 30years old) has bipolar disorder and has been on tegretol since he was diagnosed many years before i met him (possibly going back about 15 years now). This has obviously maintained his mood swings and controlled his ability to react to stresses etc. however about 8-12 months ago he went up to 200mg a day (which i believe is still low, previously was about 100mg i think) and since then has had a very low sex drive. he was ok before that, not strongly interested, but he was still interested. i know he wishes he could feel more and respond to me but the interest is not there. We're afraid to ask the doctor to reduce his dose as he went through trouble when he was lower and ended up overdosing and in hospital but is there any solution/ other medication to enable him to regain a sex drive and perhaps emotions to a degree without being dangerous. obviously his health comes first.

Any ideas/Suggestions??
I was having the same problem with tegretol but i am also on othe drugs that kills my sex drive. maybe he coild talk to his dr. aboit switching his mood stabalizer to lamictal. It has worked really well for me and does not have any of the side effects tegretol has. hope i helped a little