sad, just want to sleep
I just want to sleep, is there anying wrong with that, I know I am depresed, i am just saying why can't I just sleep tell it is over, my mood will change it always does, so why not just wate it out wile speeping.
Wanting to sleep an excessive amount of time is often part of depression. I do know at times before my current recovery from schizoaffective disorder, if I would take a nap if I was manic or depressed, I would wake up feeling somewhat stabilized. There must be a reason why and I'm sure in time they were understand the science of sleep more. But in general sleeping during the day or oversleeping is not healthy and can be a sign of depression. If you are rapid cycling and things aren't working out speak to your psychiatrist about it. Lamictal was particularly good for me and in general can be good on rapid cycling but each person reacts differently to different medications so it all depends. Speak to your psychiatrist more and there are some good websites about medications on the links page.
I sleep my way through depressive episodes too.  Its my biggest symptom when I'm depressed, and is sometimes the only way I can cope, I feel I have no control over my body's desire for sleep.  It is ok to do this when I have no commitments and am off work on sick leave, I do believe that sleep is a great healer and if my body's telling me to sleep then I follow it rather than battle against it.

I wonder though how excessive sleeping affects the overall mood cycling course, as it's apparently so important with Bipolar to keep to a fairly strict sleep/wake routine.  As I'm a rapid cycler maybe I should adhere to a stricter routine but I just don't know how to fight the urge to sleep as it's my coping mechanism when depressed.

Best wishes

Sleeping is better than the pain sometimes... Try to establish a routine for yourself so you don't fall down on the necessities.  Hygeine, nutrition, and some kind of exercise(that can be tough) are vital to survival.  As long as no one is left with problems from your sleeping, sleep away.
thank you
I also sleep a lot.  Napping helps me make it through the day.  I used to joke I was a closest depressed person because if no one know I napped then they didn't know I was feeling depressed.  But eventually when your kids answer the phone and tell everyone "mommy's napping" and you avoid places and people the depression can't be hidden anymore.  
I sometimes just crash for a day or two, last week I just dropped without warning, and I ended up pretty much sleeping for two days, uggghhhh that really messed up my sleep schedule. I'm trying to get back on track, it's hard when you've slept like that. It's made my mood worse, I feel like I'm pulling myself out of quicksand. I know I can do it, but oversleep really makes you worse.