Bipolar Disorder Community
side effects from taking lithium long term

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

I have been taking Lithium for nearly 30 years. I am beginning to have health problems and am not sure what to put down to taking Lithium for such a long period. My doctor is not very helpful in so much as he only wants to treat one problem at at a time, whereas if he looked at the whole picture of all symptoms he might be able to diagnose. I am worried about my memory and wondering if having a large glass of wine 3/4 times a week is detrimental. My age is 61 so I do not know if it is something to do with it. I stopped working about a year ago. Are there any people that have taken Lithium long term and if so what side effects did they have.
Tags: lithium
Lithium can interact with alcohol so its not a good idea. Lithium can cause long term kidney damage but that's what the blood tests monitor for. If the levels of what they are testing for are normal that would generally indicate everything is fine. If you have any kind of health problem see a general physican and let them know you are taking lithium and they will see what is going on. It may not neccessarily be from the lithium.
Thank you Iladvocate for your reply, I have just joined and hope to glean some information from the site. Today I am ok but have been awake since 4.30, seems different aches and pains wake me up early and the only remedy is to get up and the pain goes away. Thankfully I don't have to work anymore so I can get up and go to bed when I like. Hope you have a good day.
I have been taking lithium for just about six weeks, started on 400mg's and I have seen the consultant last week and have had the dose increased to 600mg he said that I'll probably stay on this dose otherwise any higher and side effects occur.
This last week I have noticed that I have had so much trouble sleeping, which is really getting me down. I'm so tired in the day due to lack of sleep through the night.
Can anyone tell me if they've had the same problem on lithium. If it causes insomna and if it lasts? Or is it just a blip at the beginning?