Bipolar Disorder Community
swollen ankles

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

swollen ankles

Is lithium causing ankle swelling and also edema? also, is this the reason for lithium weight gain which is water retention?
Lithium can cause fluid retention and those may be signs of it but also you should call this to the attention of your doctor because its still a concern and they would probably have a blood test done just to rule out any imbalance in salt levels caused by the lithium. As regarding the weight gain from lithium that is a separate issue and is not just water retention but is caused by metabolic issues that cause a change in appetite and diet. You should discuss all this with your psychiatrist.
I have taken a large dose of lithium for almost ten years.900mg a day. I haven't ever had the problem. When I took geodon and resperidon, both of those swelled my ankles up and my pdoc worried about fluid around my heart. So GOOOOO call your Pdoc and see him or her. Call your pharmicist! You could be in danger, not to worry you but swelling isn't normal. For me it took over six weeks for my ankles to get back to their pretty selves :). My chiropractor had me taking incredible amounts of water and vitamin c to help drain them. Just my thoughts and experience, hope you get help soon. zzzmykids