tegretol for panic disorder AND bi polar
I was taking 800 mg tegretol, 20 mg lexapro and 1.5 mg klonopin for bi polar 2 and panic attacks... I was doing very well.... my new dr cut my tegretol dose in half and I have started getting panic attacks again. he said that I take too much tegretol.  is 800 mg per day a normal dose for panic attacks and bi polar 2 disorder?  PS  I have a childhood history of partial seizures.
Well, according to this pdf http://www.psychatlanta.com/documents/tegretol.pdf on using tegretol for BPII,

"The starting dosage of carbamazepine in treatment of bipolar disorder is 200 mg twice a day. The dosage is normally increased by 200 mg/day every 3–5 days. The therapeutic dosage depends on attaining a therapeutic blood level. Generally, the dosage range is 400–1,200 mg/day. Blood levels of carbamazepine should be monitored weekly for the first 4 weeks to ensure that adequate levels are achieved to produce the therapeutic response."

You could print out that document and bring it in and ask your doc why he thinks you were taking too much tegretol, especially since the reduction is causing problems.  I guess he could be worried about an interaction, but the official dosage instructions allow over 800mg/day, so I'm not sure what his issue with it is.  If he won't give you a thorough/satisfactory answer, I would get a different doc.