Bipolar Disorder Community
valium

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

valium

hi all my doctor gave me valium for my sleep deprevation but im worried about taking them, i have read that people can become addicted to them and its put me off. i no its for my health but i dont want to get addicted
You should discuss that issue with your psychiatrist. I have taken Klonopin for 10 years without a problem though which is in the same class of medications. The potential of addiction can occur with benzodiazepenes (that class of anti-anxiety medication) but if taken responsibly usually is not a problem. If you are concerned though Rozerem is one FDA approved option that is safe and non addictive and works like melatonin to adjust the sleep cycle. You could ask them if that's a possibility but it would be within their judgment of course.
My pdoc has me on Trazadone as a prn for sleep.  It makes me groggy for part of the next day (how long depends on how much I needed to take) but it does work very well to help me sleep unless I am in a severe manic episode. (Thankfully not often.)  Hope this helps for you!