Bipolar Disorder Community
what are good jobs for bipolar people?

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

what are good jobs for bipolar people?

mway too y daughter is bipolar and thought she wanted to be a hairstylist but its
way too interactive with people. any suggestions?
She should be the one to see if she is capable of that but to make sure she could discuss the specific requirements of the job at an agency that helps people with disabilities find work and see if she is capable of it and if not what other options there are.
Yeah it really depends on the person.  I'm bipolar and I reckon I could be a hairstylist (if I was any good with hair, that is).  But my mother's bipolar and she couldn't.  She's a cleaner and she loves it.  Personally I want to be a Biblical translator and missionary.  
Really, there isn't one set of jobs that are better for bipolar people, it depends on the individual and their symptoms.  And ILADVOCATE is right, job agencies will know more about what jobs are out there than any of us.  
People with bipolar disorder can do anything. If she wants to be a hairstylist, let her do it. I have no idea why that it is even an issue. Bipolar disorder shouldn't impair the quality of a persons life any further...
It depends on the person as to what they can or can't do.  Some people with bipolar disorder are successful like Stephen Fry for example while others need to be on social security's disability insurance and still others are somewhere in between.
I'm Bipolar and I'm a Financial Planner, as the others have said above it really does depend on the person, but also what that person is willing to do to be able to maintain the job.  I have to exercise regularly and take a whole bunch of supplements to keep me straight.  I still have up and down times and so have my financial plans checked by others before I present them as a bit of a safety net.  I also make sure I keep an active mood tracker to help pick things up early if I can.

A lot will depend on the employer though and it is important for you to keep positive as best you can about your daughters ability and not let yourself fall into protectionism about what jobs she can and can't do. In reality it gets back to what every person should think about when getting a job.  What is it that they enjoy and are passionate about and how best can that suit there current skills.  Are there things that could be done to make the job easier.

Getting back to your original question though, for me jobs that allowed me to use my natural talent of creativity, grandious plans and my love to help people.  Financial Planning fell into that mould quite nicely.  Other jobs I've done in the past that fell into that area was working in Advertising and Media.

From what you have mentioned though it sounds like your daughter may sometimes have trouble around groups of people.  Funnily though I can still think of jobs in those fields which could be done without being around people so much.

Paraplanning in Financial Planning (ie.e the person that writes the plan), Designer in Advertising, Working in the photographic department in Media or on the production line where the newspapers are printed would be another.

So again keep it basic and focus on what she loves, if she loves cutting hair, then let her cut hair, maybe she could work in company that made wigs?

Also important to remember that whatever she does now doesn't mean she has do that career forever, in fact being bipolar I think has been one of the main reasons I have changed careers so often.  I just keep doing what I think is fun, I enjoy and am passionate about.

I wish both you and your daughter all the very best, she lucky to have a mum like you looking out for her.