Birds Community
Are Owls a protected species of bird ?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet birds!

Are Owls a protected species of bird ?

Some neighbors today cut down \a large palm tree that had owls nesting in it ..does the law protect them ?they wre sick of the noise they said ....!!!
Then I guess it's a done deal. Even if you had the name of the company that trimmed the tree, they're not likely to admit they disturbed a nest. Most arborists know about these things. Let's hope the owls moved on safely and there were no young ones in the tree.
Absolutely!! They are federally protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act which protects all native species (not birds like starlings, English House Sparrows or common Rock Doves).

We've had Screech Owls nest in a cavity of one of the trees in our back yard and the noise they make is minimal. At dusk and dawn they would make some hooting sounds and occasionally the babies would squeal when a parent brought a bit of food. But we had to lie very still and listen to hear them.

What the neighbors have done is a federal offense and if someone were to mention this to the Dept. of Fish and Wildlife, the neighbors would have a visit and a stern talking to, perhaps even a stiff fine if there was any proof of the nest and nestlings. It's one thing to take down a nest while it's being built. But once it is active - eggs or nestlings in there, a person is not allowed to disturb them at all.

Do you have any idea what they did with the babies? I hate to think. . . .
I heard a noise of saws going across from my house , I know they had owls as the woman told me they woke her in the mornings .When I got there several men had been up this long palm tree they were nesting in , and it was all down ..I was too late ..I dont know... I called her over and she said she didnt see them fly out..I could hardly breathe and I knew I was going to blow a gasket ..I dont know what happened to them .very sad its a horrible place I am out of here soon, I cannot take the animal abuse and neglect..Animal control do not bother here with anything ..they make visits give warnings and nothing happens .
Animal control does not really have jurisdiction over wildlife. They handle the legal aspects of domestics. The US Fish and Wildlife can be a mean bunch when they have to be. They would deal with any sign of wildlife abuse. Some things they don't get as excited about (a kid chasing ducks or robins) but messing with owls will get them riled up. Touching endangered species will land a person in jail.

I'm sorry. I suppose you could still report what you know to Fish and Wildlife. They may come out and have a firm talking to the woman. They're good at that. And it would be nice to know the name of the tree company that trimmed the tree. By law, they're supposed to know about nesting wildlife and refuse to trim until the nest is empty.
The look of the guys was telling me they are illegal workers we get them round here, I wish I had heard the sound earlier I think we are out when it started .. I have dealt with fish and games before about seals on the beach I meant animal control for the dog abuse and neglect round here, they come out warn the people and nothing gets done one family had them out several times and still the dogs are there .
yup I did in fact report them I was so annoyed at myself for not realising and trying to stop it...I called the  fish and game and said there were owls nesting and they knew it and called in 3men to trim the tree they were nesting in,, was one of those really tall palms .
Let's hope they respond and come out to talk to them. It might make them think twice next time if they understand the possible consequences.