Birds Community
Broken Wing?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet birds!

Broken Wing?

What does a broken wing look like?

My 8 year old budgie's wing has been drooping since Monday, sometimes seeming severe and other times seeming normal. It also trembles on occasion, but she stretches and preens both of her wings and does not seem to be in any serious pain. I examined her wing and it doesn't seem to be crooked or have any points sticking out, just awkward and droopy.  Is it a sprain, a break, or something else?
So much depends on where the break is located. A break in the radius and/or ulna (between the wrist and elbow) may not be noticeable because the bird can still hold the wing close to the body. If it's at the wrist, elbow or in the coracoid (up in the shoulder) it tends to droop. But a soft tissue injury in the coracoid will cause the wing to droop as well. Only an x-ray or someone with enough experience to feel the bones can tell you if there's a break.

Please have the bird checked. If there's a break, the wing will have to be wrapped correctly to support it until the bones heal. If they're not, the fractured bones can continue to do tissue damage inside as she tried to flap around. It only takes 7-10 days for the bones to fuse. Don't wait too long.