Birds Community
Cockatiel eye

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet birds!

Cockatiel eye

I have a cockatiel with a sore eye. He is eating well, happy and energetic, but there is a marked swelling in the inner corner. I have flushed with saline and tried antibiotic drops in the water without success. I am thinking an antibiotic eye drop might be the way to go. Any suggestions? Photo is attached.  
Tags: irritable
I don't see a photo but it doesn't matter. If the inflammation is due to bacteria, then antibiotic ointment or drops would help. If it's due to some other organism or a foreign body stuck in the eye or eyelid, the meds won't help. It's good that you started by flushing the eye. I generally wouldn't do systemic antibiotics (in the water as you mentioned) unless there was a systemic problem. Perhaps it's just an irritation and the eye is clearing up. If it isn't and there's increased swelling or discharge, see the vet ASAP. An infection can easily spread to the other eye. Keep the dishes and perches clean until this is cleared up.
my cocktiel bird has a red halo or ophthalmia  around his eyes and on his eyelid , so , what i can do by my self to cure him ecpicially i have not any efficient veterinarian in my town now .
I can't think of any OTC medications you could or should use on this. The first thing is to find what is causing the inflammation before you can treat it. Use the wrong medication, especially something not intended specifically for birds, could lead to further problems. Is there no vet in town at all that can check the bird's eye for abrasions or signs of infection?
NO I HAVE MANY VETS IN MY TOWN BUT MOST THEIR WORK IN HENS AND LIVESTOCK , AS THEY HAVE NO EXPERIENCE IN DEELING WITH THIS TYPES OF BIRDS ,THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY.