Aa
A
A
Close
Cockatiel has clogged nostril
I just noticed that 10 yr old cockatiel's right nostril is clogged with a greyish matter. He is active, eating, singing, talking, seeming very normal. I plan to take him to the vet tomorrow as our vet is closed on Sundays. Can I do anything to treat him today??  Does anyone know what this is?? Please help me.
Cancel
3 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Hi..
I would maybe try to put a warm moist papertowel or something over the nostril... maybe it will loosen up the gunk in it?? Good luck
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
184674 tn?1360864093
It could possibly be a buildup of dander in his nostril from when he preens, but that's just a guess. If that's the case, it's harmless, but still needs to be cleaned out.

I used to have a 'tiel that got clogged nostrils quite often, but it was due to getting respiratory infections. To clean his nostrils, the vet told me to take a small syringe filled with a little bit of saline and place the tip over the nostril and flush it out. A vet should show you how to do this properly so you don't hurt your bird. So by all means, keep the appointment with your vet.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
I use Normal Saline with a Q-tip and gently rub it.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Birds Community Resources