Cockatiel illness
What are the causes of loose stools on a cockatiel?.  Is there any treatment I can do at home?  
I doubt that it's starvation like I see in wild birds. It may be a parasite infection. To be treated effectively, a stool sample would have to be examined, the parasite identified and then the right medication given.

Does the bird have any other symptoms such as loss of appetite, fluffing, lethargy? They can pick up certain germs from us as well which would make them generally sick.

I don't know what's on the market for birds. You could look, try something and it may help or it may be a waste of precious time if your friend has something serious. Only you can decide whether you want to try that. If it was a single day of loose stools and now they're fine, could have been a new food, hot weather, stress. You didn't mention how long this has been going on.
It could be an infection that's bacterial or parasitic, or it could be caused by some new stress in its life.
I had a cockatiel once that consistently had loose stools, he always drank a lot of water, and I had him at the vet at least once a month to be treated for sinus infections and head colds. Turns out, he had kidney failure, and by the time we figured it out, severe gout had set in within a two-day time frame and he died on the second day. He was two years old.
The cockatiel I got after him had the same problem with constant loose stools, actually worse than my first cockatiel--his newspapers would be soaked completely within a day and a half. I took him to the vet quite a few times as well, concerned of kidney failure again. But this one seemed to have a constant battle with coccidia (sp?) infections. He later died, also at the age of two, from what I believe was pneumonia, because he was spitting up smelly, yellow-orange fluid from his nares.
Both these cockatiels came from Petsmart. I mention this because if you got your bird from a pet store and not a professional bird breeder, their risks of genetic issues are significantly increased. I had avian vets tell me that it was definitely a genetic case of kidney failure in my first cockatiel, and with my second, the vet said it was probably a genetic issue of which we never truly found the cause.
One other bird I got from Petsmart was a canary, which also died at the age of three, but not from the genetic disorder it had, which was chronic eye infections, feather loss on the head, and swelling around the beak joints. This one died when I had him out for medication, and the person holding him lost their grip, the bird flew in another room and my dog killed him. But I just wanted to mention that every single bird I've gotten from Petsmart had a veterinary genetic issue diagnosed to it, so my point is that if you got your bird from a chain pet store like Petsmart or Petco, keep a close watch on each infection/illness it comes down with, how often it reoccurs, and talk to your vet about what avian genetic issues might be a probable cause for chronic infections/illnesses.
my cockatiel hasnt been well for the past 2 days but i only noticed it today (my dad noticed it before) she is having trouble standing up and wobbles, she doesnt eat or drink and she went to fly and fell and couldnt get up. Im giving her sugar water through syringe and keeping her in her cage with a light near it with her cloth on her cage to keep her warm.. what else can I do ? I took her to the vet and the Dr said to do this - i think its weak advice and im angry at this response
Sugar water has no real nutritional value, just a boost of energy. And if the bird is sick, it may have a hard time processing this. The fact that she's wobbly, won't eat or drink is a red flag to me. A small bird like a cockatiel can lose weight and dehydrate very quickly. I'm not impressed by the doctor's suggestion. Is there another vet you could go to, especially one that knows how to treat birds?
cockatiel may have loose stools if u feed them alot of green stuff, ie spinach, lettuce ect, if u do feed these just feed them in moderation and if he has any other symtoms that indicate illlness take him to the vets and birds can go down hill very quiclky, quicker that cats or dogs, if u do take him to vet most vets will start with a drug called baytril which is an antibiotic , some of my birds have had this and works really well,
vikci ( bird breeder and wildlife resucer )