Birds Community
Cockatiel needs help.

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet birds!

Cockatiel needs help.

Well I've had my cockatiel for about a year, maybe a little over. Its a female, her name is Pikachu we got her at 8 months old, she is now over a year. She laid eggs like crazy, but since I was new didn't know it could ruin her health. Then one day my dad notices she had her head buried in the bottom of her cage. I panicked and a few days later my mom took her to the vet. What had happened is she lost a lot of calcium and got weak. Her bones had gotten frail and we found out that both her feet had fractures her wing was fractured and she had an old fracture (but it was healed). Of course I had been picking her up like an idiot and feel like a monster. Well we got her some special food fed her calcium back up and everything. Its been two months since we took her to the vet and everything is healed. Yet her left leg never healed right and the vet told us it wouldn't. Also because of what type of bird she was they couldn't put a pin in her leg. Now she can get to her food and water bowl, and climb the bars all on her own, but since she couldn't do that before, she laid on a towel till she healed. Well now all she does is lay on the towel in the same spot all day even when she poops she doesn't move. She gets up when she's hungry and thirsty but other than that that's all she does. I know it isn't good for her health, but I don't think she can balance anymore by the way she holds onto the cage and her food bowl. So she can't balance right, I also noticed her nostrils are red. She made a couple weird sounds today, but then I thought maybe she was trying to copy the sound I make at her. I know females rarely make sounds like the males do, but it was pretty close. Also because she just sits in her poop all day, her backside is a little dirty. I've tried to give her a bath. but she freaks out, and poops in the water every time, I don't know what to do. I have to say though we have grown closer. When she is at her food bowl, we mimic each other and she loves it when I stroke her head or red dot on her cheek. please help!
Definitely keep her vent cleaned up. The recommendation to use a warm wet rag is good. A bit of moisture will soften the feces and you can break it up and remove it.

She needs to be seen by a vet again.
Birds like to bathe themselves, put her in a bowl big enough to spread her wings a little and to dunk her head but not too deep and turn away. Then get her to a vet.
A warm moist rag will clean her bottom

She needs to be seen by a vet again.