Birds Community
Cockatiel with hurt leg

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet birds!

Cockatiel with hurt leg

My cockatiel scraped her leg on the bottom of her cage about an hour ago.  I think she just has a big scrape, but it's bloody (not dripping blood or anything).  I'm keeping clean water in a low bowl, hoping that she will bathe in it.  She is getting around all right, climbing around the cage and everything, but she keeps picking at her leg and her beak has dried blood on it.  Is there anything I should be doing to keep it from getting infected?
I don't know how deep the scrape is but as you can see, they don't have a lot of padding on the legs. If the scrape is bothering her and she continues to pick at it, my concern is she may nip the blood vessel that runs along the lower leg. If she does, she can lose a lot of blood quickly. There are ways to wrap the leg until it heals over pretty well but I'd recommend you have a vet or a vet tech do it for you. They have the proper supplies.