Birds Community
EMERGENCY - lovebird

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet birds!

EMERGENCY - lovebird

Hi, I had my lovebird for about 7 months now.  He has recently been flying alot and is very active and friendly.  I am very concerned because today his poop is red.  I was wondering if there is anything I can do while I get him to a professional to see what is going on.  Any home remedies? Also, I give seeds everday and they contain these red pellets but I'm almost pretty sure he doesnt eat them.
I would appreciate some feedback A.S.A.P
Thank You
Susan
Dyes in those "pretty" commercial foods could cause the droppings to change colors as well. Bird poop is a bit different - if you look closely there will be a white/light part with a dark spot in it. The white part is actually the urine and the dark part is the fecal matter. First thing I would do is try feeding normal, natural seed without the fancy nuggets and colored stuff. See what happens in 24 hours. If the droppings have a blood like color (instead of pinkish or orange-red like most foods) it would be best to take a fresh dropping to the vet and have it tested for blood. Hope he continues to be bright, alert and responsive. That's important and encouraging.
this happens to my lovies also...when they eat something of a different color...their poop is not the norm...but if he is eating flying and acting normal..he probably is fine...if he was sick, he would be lethargic, at the bottom of his cage, not much movement at all, alot of sleeping, and wouldnt be eating much at all...but a call to the vet certainly cant hurt...