Birds Community
Help! I'm new at owning birds

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet birds!

Help! I'm new at owning birds

I recently inherited 3 cockatiels from my uncle.  He told me that they were 2 females and 1 male.  How can I tell?

Also, he never hand feed them, and so it’s difficult to clean their cage.  As soon as I stick
My hand in the cage they attract!  Is there any way to “retrain” them?

Finally and egg hatched the baby is roughly 9 weeks old.  When do I start hand feeding it?  I would like for one of the birds to actually like me?

Last question.

They really don’t chirp. Are they depressed? What can I do to fix that?

Ok, last question for real.

Do I have to take them to the vet for check ups?
I can't actually help you with this one since I deal with wild birds but perhaps you could find a bird fanciers club in your area. We have a few in our area and they seem to have a good network of pigeon fanciers, parrot lovers and so on.

As for the vet, find one that specializes in birds. Most likely you should take them in on a regular basis at least to keep their nails trimmed and perhaps their beaks coped if needed.  It would be a good place to get more information on how to care for them properly. Good luck and enjoy.
One last note: I'm sure there's a way to tame them down a bit since we had to do that with our educational birds. We have a Great Horned Owl, a Northern Spotted Owl, a Red Tailed Hawk and a Kestral. Except for the GHO who came in as an imprint, the other 3 were totally wild birds with severe injuries. It took time but now they are habituated to their handlers and go out to events. They're not tame in the same sense as a pet bird since they won't tolerate just anyone picking them up but they don't atack when people come near. I would think your birds could be tamed much more easily.
thanks for your help
First .... are all three birds in the same cage ?? If you have a breeding pair then they should be in a seperate cage. I'm afraid you are much too late to hand feed the baby you speak of; we always started at about 2 weeks of age and took them completely away from the parent birds. I would imagine that in time you might get them to act more friendly towards you but as far as taming ..... I doubt it. To tame them would mean having each bird in it's own cage and preferably not even housed near each other. If you are really sincere about taming it's a big job and very time consuming at this stage of the game. Wings should be clipped and individual attention paid to each bird several times each day. Having raised hundreds of cockatiels; the babies were usually sold to new owners at around 8 weeks of age as they were eating seed by this time and able to sustain themselves without help. I know this doesn't sound very encouraging to you but if these birds have never been handled you are facing quite a challenge. Good luck.
Over the years we have had dozens of birds of all kinds. I was never more disheartened by efforts to "tame" feral birds who have grown up without affection. I'm not saying it is possible, but I have been singularly unsuccessful. And you end up with birds that require intensive attention with little payback. I finally came to the conclusion I would only purchase a very young bird from a reputable breeder, or purchase a hand-tamed bird from a reputable breeder. This can be expensive, but birds live for a long time, and they are difficultto give away to people whowill care for them - especially if they are unfriendly.I would always think twice before accepting a second-hand bird, and consider the responsibilities you undertake.