Birds Community
How cold tolerant are Zebra finches?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet birds!

How cold tolerant are Zebra finches?

I have some Zebra finches that I want to give to a friend.  She has got an outdoor caged area that would be perfect bt I am afraid that they will not be able to tolerate the occasional cold weather.  I live in Central Florida and the weather is quite mild in the winter but sometimes it can freeze(usually no colder that 32 and just for a night or two).   Will the occasional cold snaps kill the birds?  
I looked it up and one website says they do well at 75 degrees but can tolerate 50-60 degrees. I imagine much depends on what shelter they have available and how long they have to deal with the colder temps.

At my work if we have cold weather (below freezing) we bring in a few of our more sensitive birds (the Turkey Vulture which normally migrates, our Red Tailed Hawk who is quite elderly). In the mews (outdoor cages) we also have ceramic heat lamps set up in one area of each cage to provide some radiant heat during the winter months.

With the finches, if there's cold weather predicted overnight, I'd just bring them in for the night to be safe.