Birds Community
I think my bird is having an egg!

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet birds!

I think my bird is having an egg!

Ireneo, Please answer quickly I need to know if I need to take my bird to the vet. Lately she has been doing things on the bottom of the cage, now shes at the bottom its wet down there, she's making little crying sounds and she's just sitting down there and acting like she's expecting to pass an egg.(making little pushing movements, unless its my imagination working over time) I just went to look at her again and now she on the perch with her female "friend".
What do you think? Should I take a wait & see attitude. I made a little nest for her out of paper strips and now shes at the bottom messing with it. Her friend knows somethings different and watching her too. I have no experience please help! Nervous Mommy.
Please take a look at her vent. When the egg is ready to pass through, you can see the bulge and as it progresses, you'll actually be able to see the egg shell as she strains. If the egg doesn't pass through soon (an hour or so), definitely take her to the vet. It's so hard for me to tell what's going on without actually examining her. But the fact that her vent is wet indicates something is going on. Perhaps she's got an infection or parasite  although I rarely see symptoms from those other than green or slimy poop. A bird does not need a nest to lay an egg. I've seen cockatiels lay eggs on the newspaper at the bottom of their cages, ducks that come in to the center may plop down an egg on the towel. The bigger concern is the wet vent and her obvious signs of distress.
Okay, an update, The paper wasn't wet it just looked wet to me, I did a no no and put my hand down there and felt and its dry merely dark print on paper. The little cries were coming from her friend, and shes jumping around when I come to the cage she will get off the bottom and come back up on the perch then when I turn my back to the computer she'll go back down. So shes okay but I think shes getting ready. This behavior started well over a week ago, how long does it take? We shall see, thank you so much for responding so quickly. I want to say this to you. Alot of people start forums and then you can never find them again. I want to commend you on the excellent job you do on your forum! Your love of birds and the forum really shows. Thank you!
I'm just another poster like everyone else. I do enjoy birds but my experience is limited to wild birds so I can't claim to be an expert.

If the birds are acting frisky and weird, go ahead and give them some nesting material to entertain them and keep them busy. That might help calm them down. Glad to hear there are no vent problems. Remember: most of the time birds pop out eggs with no trouble at all. It's what they do.