Is my cockatiel going to be blind?
Today my cockatiel was flying into walls and screaming uncontrollably, I had to wait until he was on the floor to pick him up and calm him down. When I picked him up he was sort of panicking and seemed like he couldnt recognize me and one of his eyes had sunk? into his head. I held him for a while talking to him softly and I would move my finger near his open eye and I could tell he could see with that eye. After a while the sunken eye had begun to come out but it was just very watery. My lively bird hasnt wanted to eat all day, hasnt sang at all, and hasnt moved from the same area unless I had him with me. Just seeing him there makes me sad. I dont want to think about what could have happened that left my little angel like that, it would make me more sad. I can probably guess the answer but I still dare ask. Is he going to be blind from the eye that had sunk in? Is everything going to be ok? :((
An avian vet can take a look in the eye, see if there's blood in there (which often resolves on its own) or if the retina is damaged or torn. In that case he may lose all or partial sight in that one eye. You also should consider that he may be in pain from the injury. Another reason to take him in to be seen. After the eye heals, he can adapt to vision in one eye. He shouldn't be free-flighted if that's the case but he can still live a full life.