Birds Community
My Sun Conure Needs HELP

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet birds!

My Sun Conure Needs HELP

Ok I have a sun Conure that is 18 weeks old. I brought him out to get him more aquainted with everyone and did not relize my outside cat had snuck in. Well when Phoenix( the bird) fluttered down the cat got him. We were able to keep the cat from killing or seriuosly hurting him but now he is lathargic in his cage and I am afriad he is in shock. So my question is what can I do to help him? There are no vet offices open since it is a holiday and none of the places are anwsering their phone. Someone please help!
Tags: conure, cat, help
Is there a 24 hour emergency vet in the area? They may not be bird specialists but at the least they could do some subQ fluids and get him into an incubator to deal with the shock from the attack. Also, you may not be able to find any wounds but it's pretty difficult to search every inch of a bird's body. A vet may put the bird on antibiotics just to be safe. Considering the high metabolism of birds any bacteria can grow and spread quickly through their system.

If you're unable to find a vet tonight, put the bird into a dark, quiet and warm spot to reduce his stress, offer him water but don't force it into his mouth (too easy aspirate if you can't use a gavage tube) and see how he is tomorrow. Even if he's over the shock, a trip to the vet might be a good idea.
The vets in my area were all closed. As for a wound i searched the only spot he was showing any damage at all and found some of the geathers had been ruffled but there was no would or puncture to show that the cat had actually done any damage. As for today, the only thing that has me truely worried is that he won't eat anything and he just wants to sleep. He doesn't stay at the bottom of the cage or anything but he doesn't try to move from one spot to the other. Any ideas on how I can start getting him to eat? And does anyone know a vet in Maryville Tn that has a phone number I can call and is possibly a aviary vet? I want to help him out as best I can before going to a vet because the holidays have left me almost broke.
I'm glad to hear he's still alive but it seems something is wrong. Except for tempting him with some of his favorite food and spending some quiet, soothing time with him, I don't know how to get him to eat. Because I work only with wild birds, when we have a bird that's not eating we can force feed or tube feed it. I would not recommend that you try that.

As for vets - what about your phone book or try googling vets in your area. Even call one and see if they'll put you in touch with a vet that works with birds. They have a pretty good network and probably know each other. Don't let this go on very long. The weekend is coming up and a bird that doesn't eat for several days isn't going to survive. Is he in a warm place? A cold animal won't eat either.
I'm sorry to have to say that my little pheonix passed away today. We were taking him to the vet and he died on the way. I told the vet everything that had happened and she said the cat probably did some internal damage that caused the bird to go into heart failure. I thank you for your help and I hope, if I get another bird in the future, that this forum will be as helpful as it has.
Oh no! I'm so sorry. I feel bad when I work with a wild bird and it doesn't make it; I can't imagine how tough it must be for you to lose your little friend. Unless there was an obvious swelling in the abdomen (between the legs) it would have been very difficult to find internal injuries. I know you did your best. Again, I'm sorry little Phoenix didn't make it. Hugs, Irene