Birds Community
My indian ring neck got hit on the head!

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet birds!

My indian ring neck wonders around the kitchen and living room sometimes.....well this particular day she was in the kitchen and I was picking up the knife holder(wood) and she bit my toe....and startled me and I dropped the knife holder on her head.....I was so worried I cradled her for an hour and then gave her some fresh air outside(she has a cage out there)....and she slept for a couple of hours and I know her head hurt because she would get squeaky when other birds were chirrping.....
well needless to say she is back to normal now........but I am going to be taking her to the vet next week....but I was wondering if there are any signs I should look for and should I do something for her now?

Sincerely,
worried.............
I see impact injuries quite often at work. So many birds will hit a window for various reasons. What we look for is lethargy, neurological symptoms like falling over or circling or eyes twitching (nystagmus). Many times a bird will do a window strike and will recover in a couple of hours. Sometimes they go neuro and end up at the center.

It sounds like she just had a bad headache for a few hours and recovered which is good but it's also a good idea to have her checked by the vet. S/he can look in her eyes and mouth for signs of bleeding or soft tissue injuries around the head.
I know the ol' bite on the toe. My ringneck has an OBSESSION with feet. Socks, shoes, slippers, bare, he loves them and talks to, and kisses them for hours if I let him. He doesnt bite my toes much but these birds have a powerful bite. Went right through my lip one time. I think she will be ok. My ringneck is 6 and hes never been to the vet. If there is something wrong, I wont hesitate to take him. Get her checked out. Let me know if she is ok.
Are we talking about a dove or some other kind of bird? The only ring neck I've seen is a dove and they don't bite. Guess I'll have to look this up. The worst bird related injury I've had was a Red Tailed Hawk jammed his talon right through my nail and into my thumb. That's the gratitude I get for trying to fix his foot.
Not a dove! Check out my pictures. I have 2 pictures or my green indian ringneck Eli.
Ah, very cute. Can't quite tell but it looks about the size of a Quaker. Is that right?

The only experience I've had with pet birds was the short time I worked at an Avian vet clinic. I still have a scar from those days. I had a cockatoo out. She was so sweet, sitting on my shoulder. Until it was time to go back to her cage and she sank her beak into my thumb. I had to towel her to get her back. Hard to do since she kept walking away from one shoulder and back again as I tried to grab her with the towel. What a stinker.
Yes about the same size as a quaker. I actually fell in love with a quaker and thats why I ended up getting a bird. A friend of my parents bred indian ringnecks so I went there to learn more about parrots before I got one and I fell in love with my little guy so I got him.
Im thinking about getting a breeding pair. Im very attached to mine and he probably would breed so Im thinking about buying a separate pair to breed. I dont know anything yet about breeding though so that will wait.
I know of people that breed birds and it must be interesting. What I don't know is what happens to the babies? And parrots live such a long time, do they keep them together, breeding, for years? Finding good parrot owners is as difficult or even more so than finding a responsible turtle owner (turtles are very hard to keep alive in captivity). And getting a bird spayed is expensive and dangerous, not like our cats and dogs.

So I just have always wondered . . . .
my IRN swallowed his little feather..and acted to vomit but s/he dint..so if der any injuries to his/her health..
It's not unusual for birds to swallow small feathers while preening. I often find bits of feather in their droppings when I check for parasites. Some birds that eat other birds, like Peregrine Falcons, eat feathers all the time with no problem. Most likely your ring neck will be just fine.