Birds Community
Not eating...

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet birds!

Not eating...

4708731?1248833124
I'm so worried about my conure... she'll only eat when I handfeed her sunflower seeds...which I used to only give as special treats.  She used to eat so great...but now I'm just happy to have her eat anything... I'm happy she's at least eating seeds.  Is she sick, old, what???  
A sudden decrease in appetite is usually a sign of illness. You didn't mention her age or how long this has been going on. It would be best to have her seen by a vet. If you wait too long, she'll lose weight and that will just add to her problems and treatment plan. An emaciated bird would need special care, not just a bunch of extra food. Please don't wait too long.
You mentioned that you used to only give her sunflower seeds as treats. When would you give them to her? Birds can be very smart, could she have figured out that if she waited for you to give her sunflower seeds, she wouldnt have to eat her own food? Does she call to you to be fed?

Also, what type of food is your bird on? I find that the zupreme brand is very efficient with my quaker parrot as I am trying to move him from a seed diet to a pelleted one. She may eat a different type of food if you give it a try.
I got her as a gift on Mar 1, 2008...and she couldn't have been much more than a year.  So I'm sure she is ill!!  :(

She's not tame...but does eat the seeds from my hand when I sit next to her cage.

Thanks for taking the time to confirm what I think I knew... I'm leaving on vacation...so she might be gone when I return...which breaks my heart!!  :(
She was eating Fiesta for conures and those ball treats (I'm at work so can't see the label).  She is still drinking water and perching...just wobbly!!!  :(
Will she let you feel her keel? That's the bone that runs down the front of her chest. The muscle around it should be only slightly concave, just a little bit of a dip on either side. If you can feel the sharp edge of the keel, then she's underweight. A bird with a rounded chest, no keel is chubby.

I assume you'll have someone babysitting her while you're gone. Do let them know she's not feeling well in case she does die. Otherwise they'll think they did something terrible and feel bad.

Is there no way to take her in or have someone take her in for some testing then?
Definitely feel her keel, and see if her stance is more hunched forward then normal. If she's wobbly then I would really see if she can be looked at by a vet. Is her tail bobbing in any way? Do her feathers look different? She shouldn't look puffed all the time.
Can anyone tell me of a Bird Vet in Redlands, CA???  The one I used to go to says they don't take care of birds anymore...  :(
Were they willing to recommend someone in your area that does treat birds? I'll go over my phone list of licensed wildlife rehabbers in California, try to figure out if any are in your area, then I'll contact them to see who they would recommend. All rehabbers have to be in contact with a vet to help them out when needed. There are just so many cities I don't recognize so it will take me some time. It might be quicker to just call the vets in your area, ask about birds and get a bit of direction from them.
Thanks for your advice...there's a hospital in Loma Linda who takes birds