Birds Community
PLEASE HELP! Severe Leg Problem!

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet birds!

PLEASE HELP! Severe Leg Problem!

Hi. punky, my 2 year old female cockatiel is feeling very bad lately on her left leg. her leg has bent inward in a way that when she sits on
a flat surface the left foot crosses over the right foot. she had a bad landing about 6 months ago and her leg was hurt.
that is the only occasion I remember that might have caused this kind of deformation later on. after she landed badly, you could
tell that she was trying not to use that leg as much as the other one. I waited to see what will happen in the next days and
after a couple of days there were no symptoms and I assumed that she had just hurt her leg and it took her a couple of days to
recover and get back to normal. but after 4-5 months she started showing symptoms again. she was favoring one foot, and I noticed
that she was not walking as much and when walking one foot was a little bent inwards. so, I took her to a vet and she examined her
thoroughly and said there probably isn't any fracture or bone damage since she did not react at all to the vet examining that particular
leg. she also checked her tonge, beak and wings and said nothing is abnormal and this could have a cause that only xray and blood test
results will show. I took her to another vet to get a second opinion and she said we should do the xray but this second vet was harsher
in her examination and after we took punky home we could tell that her leg was soar and in pain. so we did the xray the day after, you can
see the xray results:

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1257x2205.

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/3615/punkye.jpg

after the xray her leg has gotten worse, the vet said that the deformation we see in the bone is either from a kind of infection
or something more aggressive like cancer. so she gave her anti-inflamatory and antibiotics. we gave her the medications on time.
but nothing noticeable was happening, after the second vet visit her leg has gotten worse than before the visit and it has stayed the
same even after the course of prescriptions. my guess is that this is a physical damage rather than a systemic one. and the way
she was examined the second time strained her leg so much that it has gotten worse. she vet said that after a month or so we would
repeat the xrays to see if the leg shows any improvements as a result of medications or not. I am feeling really bad whenever I see
her walk around. she mostly avoids walking and feels more comfortable on perch. she is not active at all. she was an active and happy
cockatiel before all this. please tell me what you think about her condition and what I should do with it.

Thank you
Tags: please help, legs, severe, help
Excellent x-rays. Thanks for sharing them. In the second it looks like there's a fracture on the dorsal side of the tib/fib. The overall thickness of the bone segment looks like it may have tried to form a callus and heal but it just won't. Perhaps due to some bone infection (blood work would show that) or poor calcium levels in her food. When we deal with birds w/ fractures, we increase their calcium intake during the healing process. I may show this to a friend of mine and get her input as well. Let's see what the meds do first and do another radiograph.
Another thing to consider is metabolic bone disease. The way the leg is fx and the way it's trying to heal shows something is not quite right. If she does indeed have MBD, she'll be prone to other fx in the legs and wings.

I was dealing with a baby opossum one year and it had MBD. They require a lot of calcium in their diet anyway but this one had such a hard time getting bone density up to where it needed to be. We also got in a couple of young Kestrals one year that the people had only fed them ground meat, no bone at all. Their conditions were horrid: jaw deformities, leg deformities. The one little male had to be put to sleep because he couldn't eat or stand. The female is doing OK but can never be released.
Thank you so very much for the reply, I have posted this on many forums and your response is the only one that really helped to give us a direction to go. She does not eat much except for seeds and we try to give her some supplements in the form of drops in water or powder on veggies she likes. but I am sure that it is not enough. but, she is not interested in eating anything but seeds really. she does not pick on her cuttlebone, until recently for some reason whenever we put her in the cage she immediately goes for the cuttlebone. I think she kind of senses that she needs it. so, we are going to get calcium drops and drop them directly in her beak and see if she gets better. If you have any other suggestions PLEASE let us know. and thank you again for your time :)
You're quite welcome. I'm just sharing my impressions but you're doing the wisest thing by having her checked and treated by a vet. That's her best chance for healing up and being a strong little bird again.