Birds Community
Peahen in hard labor

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet birds!

Peahen in hard labor

We have a peahen at home that has been trying to lay her egg for nearly 24 hours with no success. She's quiet, "in the position," but can't seem to deliver. What advice/suggestions to help this girl? Thanks.
She needs medical assistance. Being egg bound like that can kill her. I'm sure there are folks that can offer home remedies but it's a risk you have to decide if you want to take. Even at the center where I work, if we get a bird in that's egg bound, we take it to a vet clinic to be treated. Hope she's OK.
Well, fortunately, she finally dropped the egg, which turned out to be soft-shelled. This was after 24 hours of labor. She doesn't appear any worse for this, but had us concerned, as you can imagine.

I recently moved to a rural spot where there are 3 peacocks and 6 peahens on the property, so I'm learning more about them every day!
Thanks for writing back. I'm glad to hear she passed it finally. Although we do minor surgeries at our center like debriding, sutures, setting bones, something as invasive as removing a stuck egg should be done at the vet's where they have a more sterile atmosphere and all the proper equipment. Hope you don't have to face something like this again. Hmm, something you could look up: is there a way to help prevent a bird from becoming egg bound? Enjoy your birds. They can be so noisy but beautiful.
They are beautiful birds, indeed, and after the 4 weeks I've been here I'm getting more used to their calls. If it's too quiet I wonder what's up. A much better sound than vehicles streaming by and horns blowing!I'm finding them very inquisitive creatures. I've already been able to hand feed most. One peahen I determined is "Gladys" :) I don't know why, but when she kept running up to me for a treat, I just came upon the name.
We have a peahen that has been acting different today.  She has been staying next to the front door, panting, keeps her butt in the air and her eyes don't look right almost as if they are a bit sunken and she keeps blinking.  She is not interested in water or food.  I just a discovered an egg close to where she has been and it is a soft egg (no shell) but really strange looking not like the other ones I have seen before and it appears to have a bit of blood on it.  

Thank you for all the help in advance.

Thank you for all the help in advance.
Darn, your poor birds are having a rough time of it. Sounds like you're in the same situation as before. A soft egg is hard to pass because the muscles have nothing to press against. Imagine trying to push a water bed - it just sloshes every other direction than the way you want it to go. You could try lubricating the vent with a touch of olive oil or mineral oil (not my favorite but a couple of drops won't hurt).

I'm not sure why this keeps coming up unless their diet doesn't have enough calcium in it for egg  production. That might be something to look into. It's up to you whether you want to wait it out for 24 hours again or take her in to the vet. I hope it all comes out OK.
Thanks for the info.  I found a smashed soft egg this morning and looks like she is back to her ole bratty self.  I used to give them oyster shell but since we haven't been wanting  anymore peafowl (have about 15) I haven't purchased any as I did not know about being egg bound.  Looks like I'll be going and getting a sack of it.  Any suggestions on other sources of calcium??
Thanks again!!
Kale is fairly high in calcium but not always available. I thought there were specific types of feed for laying birds. Hmm. Birds will produce eggs naturally whether fertile or not. So during the warm months when they're likely to be laying, you probably should increase their calcium intake to avoid these stressful events. Not easy on the bird and certainly not easy for you to watch.
I dropped by here in my daily way to Cats Community and stopped by to read about this topic cos its very interesting.
My late father had small birds , they were my only pets on childhood.
I still like them but now I have only cats.
A long and happy life for your birds...
Glad you stopped by. This isn't a very active board but since you've had some experience with birds, if you have any suggestions or experience you want to share along the way, please do.
In fact is the second time Im here, I once asked something about by cousin roaster ( now already dead by "sister dog attach' - the poor really accted and behaved as a dog - did you ever see a roaster eating hamburger bits ?)
I remember you answered me that time and I translated that to my cousin.
I know quite a few about birds, most is just in theory, cos I was just a kid and the only I did for was feed and change water ( mercifully my father always did the cleaning stuff part...)
But if I felt I can help someone here somehow, I'll be pleased doing it
If you guys are not "Cat Killers "just count on me :-)
I know I'm not a "cat killer." We've always had a cat in the home, we have one now who has been fighting cancer for the past year. She's near the end of her life and it's so hard to watch her.

I do believe it's in the best interests of cats and wildlife if cats are kept inside. Too many animals get hurt if cats are out, including the cats themselves. We had a lovely cat that used to come visit our house. It belonged to an elderly man across the street. He did not keep the cat in. Our family grew very fond of Fuzzy Britches coming by to play. There was another woman a street over that liked the cat as well. She actually asked me if she could keep the cat. I told her no, it wasn't my cat and she shouldn't try to keep it. Turned out that because she lured the cat over to her street (a very busy street by the way) he eventually was hit by a car. We were upset and our neighbor was upset. Poor Mr. Fuzzy Britches.
Sorry for your sick lady cat.For Mr Fuzzy as well.
If you need some moral support and fell like talking about her, please go to the Cats Community , theres lots of people that really understand such sad situation
I never faced it personally since mines are my first cats in life but I already wonder its not something I could face alone.
Some of your cat members already crossed the bridge and we are all together in good and bad times
Big hug!
Thank you. Our sweet cat Pepper will see the doctor tomorrow for her last trip in the car. That is if she lasts that long. She stopped eating and drinking Tuesday so I know things are shutting down. She's been a wonderful friend but we have such great memories.
She will met cute fellas waiting for her on the other side
You can post her pic in memorian in your profile- for sure we'll love to see her face.
A smooth last trip to Pepper :-(