Birds Community
Question about our Senegal
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet birds!

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Question about our Senegal

We found an abandoned Senegal. We have taken him into our home.

We are in the process of setting up his cage and I was hoping someone can tell me what size perches to buy. His nails are kind of long and pointy.

Thanks everyone.
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
184674_tn?1360864093
You can get wood perches at a pet store that look like branches. But don't get the really thin ones because the bird will chew right through them in a few minutes, so get the thick looking branch perches. Also get a calcium perch or a sandstone perch, as those help wear down the toenails a little bit.
Blank
161647_tn?1280611763
Thanks AJH84 for the information. I guess what I'm really looking for is the actual diameter size of the perch for a Senegal. I know each species requires a specific diameter perch in order to keep their nails filed and their feet healthy.
Blank
184674_tn?1360864093
The perches I have for my senegal range in diameter of about ¾ inch to 1½ inch. It helps to have a variety of perch diameters to keep the foot muscles and flexors healthy. Anything less than ¾ inch will probably not last long, though--senegals love to chew! At least mine does, lol.
Also, just as a side note, I buy my senegal small knotted rope dog toys to chew up (like for a small breed, but not small enough to be a toy breed). I tie the frayed end to one cage bar and let it hang by a perch so she can chew it. That way, she doesn't chew up her perches so much, which are WAY more expensive than the little rope toys! I get the rope toys in the dog toy section at Petsmart, and they only cost about $1.99.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Birds Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank