Sick cockatiel please help
Hi my cockatiel has been ill for a week now. i took him to the vet and they gave him ornicure - doxycycline for a bacterial infection. i believe this is what is matter as he is sneezing, has a red nose, sleeps alot and is cold and therefore fluffs up, i moved him away from the window into a warm room and place a cover over half of his cage.
He does not seem to be improving. On the odd occasion he opens his wings wide and his beak gasping for breath. But this is not all of the time.He is eating and drinking ok and has always been very tame and still is. He is sitting on his top perch fine without falling off but still seems weaker than noirmal to me which i think is to be expected if he has a cold/chill.
Do you think i should carry the antibiotics until he is better. They are nearly running out so should i request some more from my vet?
I was considering an avian vert but i was told they would just give him antibiotics for a bacterial infection if that is what it is. Do you think it sounds like anything else?
here are all his symtoms:
sleepy
Fluffed up  / cold
red nostrils
Sneezing but not constantly
Spreading wings asnd breathing heavy with beak open but not constantly.

Sorry for the long winded post but i really would appreciate any advice. I know you will probavbly say take him to an avian vet but it about 1 hour in the car the neasrest one and may cause him stress.
Do you think hewill kick it off if i carry on with the antibiotics like i said before?
Thnak you
Sophie
Remember - if it's a fungal infection, antibiotics will not help at all.
It could be viral.
If his symptoms have been persisting through the antibiotic treatments, then you need to get him to a vet.
are these symptoms  he has the same for fungal and viral?
I've seen birds with trichomoniasis (protozoan), candidiasis (fungal) and gapeworm (parasite) and they all have a terrible time breathing and reach a point where they can't eat either. A typical respiratory virus would run its course in 7-10 days.
i see. im taking him to the avian vet on Friday if there is no improvement. Today he has been perkier. still eating fine etc. noticed his poop is green though
thanks for the advice
Green poop may be a sign of parasites or not enough food intake. I see it often with underweight or emaciated birds. Give him extra goodies if need be to keep his calories up until Friday.
I would still take him to the avian vet. Maybe it's just me, but that is what I'd do. There maybe something else going on with him.
From her post on the "ask a vet" forum, she does have an appt. today with the avian vet. Hope she gets some good news and help.
I just read her post on the vet board. The bird didn't make it to the vet, passed away during the trip.