Birds Community
Strange Lovebird Behavior

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet birds!

Strange Lovebird Behavior

I have a blue mask lovebird that is about 6 months old. I have had him for about 2 months now, and he is seemingly physically very healthy and playful. He is not so fond of people yet, but he does put up with people if he must. I was told by the petshop I bought him at that since he is still in his adolescent stage, he does not see me as his mate and therefore will not be openly affectionate until he is more sexually mature. Also, this is because he is one of the last species of lovebird to be domesticated, so he has more of a wild nature than a peach face, for example.

Recently, in the past couple of days, he has picked up the habit of sleeping or resting underneath his food bins at the bottom of his cage. At first I was a bit worried by this since I've gotten accustomed to the idea that birds hanging out at the bottom of their cage means they're sick. But he will stay down there for several minutes and go back up to his perches and play. I thought maybe he is communicating to me that he wants to be left alone, but sometimes he does this even when I don't show interest in him. He initiates this behavior. And if I come closer to look, he opens his mouth at me, as if to tell me to go away.

Do you know what could be going on?

Thank you.
Are you absolutely sure he is a male? I've only ever had my female birds lay at the bottom of their cages like that, with the same behavior, mainly when they are going to lay an egg in the next week or so, and they are sort of "nesting."
If he is without a doubt a male, I don't know what to tell you.
My birds do that every night I have 2 trouble makers the sleep at the bottom of there food.  Maybe there not sit because I had them for three months.  And they escape from there cage a lot.
I have both a male and a female lovebird for about a year. There are distinct behavior differencec between male and female.

The female lovebird does sit at the bottom of the cage on a regular basis out of just wanting to nest. Now is the bird crouching or is "he" sitting like a chicken laying and egg. If its the latter then the bird is very much a female. The opening of the mouth gesture really only happens with the female. The females tend not to be as friendly to other people and have that behavior of I will be nice to you on my terms.

Lovebirds also just like hiding in tight space and will "hide," but you can still see them. Try giving "him" a empty tissue box and a birdie pinata or paper and see what happens. If "he" starts playing with the tissue box instead and shreds up the pinata or paper and stuffing the pieces into "his" rump with a great deal of success.... you got yourself a female bird and they need a lot more time and patience to get them to bond with you.

If this doesn't work then just start letting the bird out more and playing with "him" outside of the cage more. It just may have not grown accustomed to you yet.

I am very confused about my Lovebird's behavior. First of all I got 2 lovebirds as a Valentine's day gift 4 years ago. One year after having them I found one had passed away and was lying at the bottom of the cage. After a couple weeks my second love bird seemed a little different. Not as lively as before. So I thought I would go out to get another lovebird so he could have company. I was very careful introducing the two together, putting 2 cages next to each other for a while, taking them out often together, basically introducing them to each other very slowly. After a while they seemed to take to each other very well, so I put them in the same cage. They were always together and it worked out well. After about 2 weeks, I came to uncover them in the morning, and the new lovebird had passed away. I am very confused and don't know why? I talked to the vet but there wasn't really much they could tell me????  I still have my surviving lovebird, but he seems to be acting strange again. He has started to hold on to the cage with his beak and just hang there. He wasn't moving for a while and I was starting to worry. He has also started to rip the paper on the bottom of the cage and taking them up to the top corner of the cage, trying to wrap them around one of his toys. I have never seen him do these things before. I don't know whether or not to spend the money on another bird or not. If anyone knows of these behaviors, please let me know! I would love to hear any input that would help.
Thanks - Kim
I'll admit I don't know much about pet birds so take my thoughts with a grain of salt as they say.

I wonder if your remaining bird enjoys the company of another bird but feels cramped or threatened when sharing the same cage. If it was me and I wanted to get another companion, I think I would also buy a different and larger cage so both birds could have their space and bird #1 wouldn't have claimed the cage as his yet. I see territorial problems with wild birds when caged together. I can put 2 young Robins together in a cage but not 2 adults. When we put adult raptors together in a flight cage, we're careful to avoid overcrowding even in a 50 foot cage. No more than 3 hawks for example.

As I said, those are just my thoughts. You didn't mention seeing any wounds on the dead birds but I'm going to guess there probably was a fight between them. Then again, you may want to get a second bird but keep it permanently in its own cage but nearby the other bird for enrichment and companionship.

As I said, just my thoughts....
hello i have a female love bird, jojo is a year and three months old. i have tried to bond with her but failed! she is very aggressive, bits and squacks like crazy at times.  now she has found something else, after she plays she goes and sits at the bottome corner of her cage. she eats a little not as much as she used to.  she doesnt look sick meaning around the eyes, water beak etc... can someone please help this is my first time owning a lovebird and i am lost! also i live in greece and there are hardly any vets for birds the one nearest to me is an hour away by plane.

thank you,
marina