Birds Community
What is wrong

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet birds!

What is wrong

i got a budgie about 3months ago.
the shop said he was 6 weeks old when i got him.
we bought him plenty of toys incuding a plastic bird.
the past month billy (BUDGIE) has been making love to the plastic bird he does it all the time is this normal beahaviour ??
also he has been pluking his lovely feathers he used to have a lovely long tail but now it is short and stumpy is it normal for him to do this

One more thing
can i buy another buddgie (femaile) to join him in his cage at this late stage but is it too late too bring a new budgie in ??
please email your advice to lozza_x_love***@****

thank you for your time please answer A.S.A.P
I do know that caged birds can develop some neurotic behaviors such as feather plucking. You might want to rule out feather mites/lice first. Check in with your vet about that. A bird that isn't getting enough interaction with their human friend or a bird friend will act out.

As for the sexual behavior, I've seen birds masturbate with toys or food. If you get him a mate, then you'll be dealing with eggs, probably fertile. That's a different problem.

Have you read up on caring for budgies? There may be a book out there that could help.
When I posted about my new bird I didn't mean to imply with the picture that that was my new bird, the bird in the picture is a conure, my new baby is a budgie sorry  aheart:)
I kind of wondered about that. Most budgies I've seen are the blue, green or yellow variety. But I thought it might be a different type of parakeet similar to Monks. It's still a very pretty bird whatever it is. :-)