Birds Community
baby cockatiel

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet birds!

baby cockatiel

I have a baby cockatiel born today and the parents don't want to feed it what do I do.
In order to feed a baby cockatiel patience is needed. I had the same problem with my bird Debby, I did everything untill I tryed the unthinkable....I chewed up some earthworms and let Debby eat out of my mouth like a Mommy bird would. It worked like a charm..good luck it tastes like dingle berries.
Hmm, and I thought cockatiels were primarily seed eaters.

There are websites that will explain how to feed a hatchling cockatiel. I've heard many people use a product like Exact to feed the young ones (it even has a cockatiel on the canister). But in order to feed the baby properly to avoid aspiration and to feed the right amount, you should check with someone who knows how to do this and can help you through. Is there a bird breeder in your area than might mentor you?

And I don't recommend chewing up earthworms in your mouth. Many carry parasites that you just don't need.