Birds Community
birds and cigarette smoke

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet birds!

birds and cigarette smoke

I was wondering if there is any kind of bird that can be around cigarette smoke? I would really like to have a bird but there are 2 smokers in the house.
Char
I'm not a bird expert, but a bird lover, I have birds because I can't have dogs or cats, but I have found that I love birds too. I am a smoker, I have a conure (Paco) and a keet(KIWI) I will only smoke in my bedroom or bathroom, I keep the smoke out of the front of the apt. My birds have never been sick or had any eye or respiratory problems. Just use common sense about it, you should be fine, enjoy your feathered friends. Have you looked at Sun conures? I will put a picture of one in my profile for you  aheart
I am a smoker too, BUT I will tell you this, DO NOT allow smoke around the bird. I love my bird too much to allow him to be exposed to smoke. I too either smoke outside or in the bathroom with the vent fan on and the door shut. Smoking is NOT allowed in my house, so anyone that visits that is a smoker HAS to smoke outside. I am not saying this to be mean, but I am a bird lover too and I was the one that bought the bird and I am the one responsible for his well being and that is one thing that I won't allow him to be exposed to is any kind of smoke. Besides smoke is not healthy for a bird. If you can, but it may not be possible, try to get the smokers in the house to NOT smoke around the bird at all :)

What type of bird aheart suggested is a wonderful type of feathered buddie :)
I think I should probably take my bird outta my room ^_^'
I don't know if that was a wise @$$ remark or not, but yeah, good idea taking the bird out of your room if you smoke.
definately no smoking around birds....they are so sensitive to it. and a numerous things could happen to the bird, including death. I have raised birds for a while now, at one time I had over 300 birds. also, after you smoke a cigerette, before you handle your bird again, you should wash your hands. and besides, bird or no bird, smoking inside the house is a bad idea, it could also damange your health because you are breathing smoke the whole time you are inside your house, as well as those who don't smoke that go inside your home, and small children and other animals.
Well said beautifuldisaster486 :)

I also want to add that Teflon pans are also dangerous to birds. If you use them with a bird in the house make sure to NEVER let anything (food) burn in those pans. The smoke from the pan is highly toxic to birds.