Birds Community
chicken fowl pox

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet birds!

chicken fowl pox

Can I use Benadryl Cream to treat fowl pox on my chicken?
I don't recommend it. Avian pox is a virus and has to run its course (3-5 weeks). The problem with pox is that it's contagious so your bird should be kept isolated from other birds. And because of the lesions the bird can develop secondary infections so her space should be kept clean. Also her sore areas should be kept clean. There is a chance it can spread to her respiratory system (wet pox).

I've treated a few birds with pox, only 1 survived. Mostly at the center we euthanize because it can be spread and supportive care generally hasn't worked out all that well. Since this is your "pet" I recommend what I've written above: isolate, keep her area and wounds clean and just wait and see what happens. As for cleaning the sore areas, I used an extremely weak solution of Betadine and water twice a day. I don't recommend doing that around the eyes. If she develops an infection, you should probably take her to the vet for treatment.