cockatiel toe problem
My 14 year old male cockatiel has been limping recently. When he walks, the rear shorter toe is awkwardly bent into the forward position. Consequently, he picks or chews at his foot, as he can't get the toe to revert back to the rear position. Upon further examination, I noticed a blood clot between the shorter forward toe and the shorter rear toe. Does he need a splint to keep the toe from bending forward? Can super gluing the defective rear toe onto the good rear toe set the bone in time? Or should I confine him to his cage perch and hope the bone sets on its own? What should I do about the blood clot? My bird also regurgitates some undigested seed at times also. Could these two problems be related somehow? He does seem to favor his good leg in the cage when he's climbing or perching. Thank you for your help!
First off, I personally would not recommend super-glue for the bird. He may be chewing on the toe because there is pain or some nerve damage that is bothering him. When I'm working with a bird that has a broken digit or some kind of neuro problems that cause knuckling, I do splint the foot. I either splint it into a more normal open position or use a ball splint. There's no way I can properly advise you here on how to splint the foot so you won't cause more damage. Please take him to a vet. The only way I can think of the foot problem and the vomiting being related is if he has a neuro problem. Has he hit a window or something recently? If you just leave the bird as he is, he may end up chewing off the toe and bleeding to death or at the least, causing severe damage. I've had hawks literally chew through the bandages on their wing wraps and chewing on their own wrist right to the bone. It has to be done right. Please take him in.