Birds Community
desperate need of a solution!

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet birds!

desperate need of a solution!

My Congo African Grey is about 10mo old. When she was about 8mo old she began to pull out the feathers on her legs, then moved to her abdomen and chest. All within a few days! I've only caught her pulling out a feather on occasion so im assuming the majority is done while I am gone. I immediately brought her to the vet and she did a battery of tests and put her on a round of Baytril just to be safe. She is also on "Pluck No More", gets daily baths, on a humidifier, has a full spectrum light, and sleeps in a quiet night cage for 10-12hrs a night. She is out of her cage for at least 4 hours a day, and her cage has always been in our livingroom against 2 walls (corner cage) She is on a pellet diet with some seeds, fresh fruit and veggies, fish oil, and shares our meals as well. She had a large cage with plenty of toys that I rotate every few days to keep her busy, as well as the TV or radio on while I am gone. After the vet visit, she seemed to improve and allowed the feathers to begin to grow back and then JUST when I thought we made it through it all, this week she pulled them all out again!! I am at a loss and just want to make my bird a happy healthy girl; she is my world! She is VERY smart and began speaking complete thoughts around 6 months old and now has a wide vocabulary; not to mention a complete cage escape artist! Any help at this point is greatly appreciated; I will do whatever it takes to make her well. Thank you!!!
The first thing I have to say is "when can I move in" sounds like bird paradise. I have a 15 year old African Gray she is female and is considered a family member and fortunetly she has never plucked but she has never been a single bird in my house. We have a total of eight parrots so when we are gone life goes on as normal for them they know each others names and talk all day long and I cannot imagine having only one bird it would be so lonely for them. I guess what I am suggesting is the possibility of a second bird, but not in the same cage. It seems as if this is the only thing you have not tried and if you work during the day believe me they will keep each other company. Also you did not mention but overnight all my birds are completely covered so they are not upset during their sleeping hours which they begin to request at 8:00 p.m. on the dot each night. After 8:00 p.m. we begin to hear request for "got to go nite-nite", "nite-nite sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite" "got to go, got to go, got to go" and these request continue until they are covered and the lights are turned out. They occupy our entire dinning room which is now the bird room so we do watch television from the next room but as long as they are covered and the lights are out you would not even know we had a bird in the house. Well Hope this helps and good luck!

Suzanne

Suzanne
That's an excellent post tssue. Only a person with your experience truly understands the needs of a bird at home. Great suggestions.
thank you very much for your post! My computer never alerted me that someone responded and I am SOO happy that you did! We have been thinking about adding a second bird. My grandmother has a double yellow amazon that we will be inheriting so that would quickly have us with three birds (lol). and yes, I am a crazy owner that gives her and my other pets everything! I am a vet tech so im pretty sure its in my blood! hehe! The newest update is.. (and this is going to sound INSANE) but we have taken her to a avian specialist vet that does aquapunture for avains, very similar to acupunture. We have also purchased yet another jungle gym for her, added sunshine factor, and switched all of her special ppl food to strictly organic (that means im eating organic too! lol) The aquapunture seems to be helping with her mood. The vet is convinced that since she began plucking at sexual maturity that the increase in hormones with no "partner" is the cause. If this goes on much longer I suppose I will have to save my money and consider a friend for her! I know that my hubby and I have plenty of love for just one more! lol; thank you sooo much again for your input and keep the ideas coming! I would love to hear more about your birds, they sound like an interesting bunch! Oh, and to answer your question, she has a seperate smaller "bedtime" cage that is in a spare room and very quiet. Her day cage is in the livingroom and we have 2 dogs and 2 cats that were preventing her from a quiet sleep! Hope to hear from you again!